13 replies to this topic

#1 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

Recently I have been given what I consider to be an honor and a recognition of my mead expertise as my mead FAQs are now included as reference reading in the 2009 BJCP Mead Exam Study Guide.I would like to thank both Oskaar (Pete Bakulic) and Gordon Strong for this privilege. Somehow I also feel wayneb may have also played a part...Thank you all!

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

That's quite an honor! Congratulations. :huh:

#3 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

That's quite an honor! Congratulations. :huh:

Thank you! I'm still trying to understand how it happened, but I appreciate the fact that it did...

#4 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

I'm sorry i missed this thread til now, i'm having a lot of fun with your recipes, so congratulations and keep up the good work.

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

WOW! :facepalm:

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Congratz Hightest! I'm one more person who got into and learned the ways of mead making under the guidance of your work and experience on the subject. You've done a lot for the mead making community at large and it's good to see recognition where it's due :D

#7 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

Congrats!

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Congratulations. Everybody likes to get recognition for their efforts, you deserve it.You have obviously put a great deal of time, research and experience into the material you make available.Your web site and Schramm's book are the only mead references I found I need.zymot

#9 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

It wasn't my idea (this time), but nevertheless, the inclusion is a no-brainer to anyone who has been involved with serious pursuit of hobby in recent years. Don't be too humble over this, HT, you deserve it (and the meadmaking community is far better off for your painstaking efforts in quantitative documentation and your generous public sharing of the information)!Sorry for the late reply, but I've been on travel for the past couple of weeks....

Edited by Wayne B, 14 July 2009 - 11:44 AM.

#10 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Wayne,Thank you for the clarification. Oskaar was the one who first contacted me about Gordon's request, but knowing your close proximity to Oskaar, I thought you may have been involved... :D As a side note, my most recent project is an attempt to clone a Danish commercial mead: Klapøjster Mjød. Presently I'm working on the brandy blend... :D

#11 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hmmm... interesting. Where can one get the commercial product here in the US? I haven't seen it locally.

#12 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hmmm... interesting. Where can one get the commercial product here in the US? I haven't seen it locally.

Yes, it is available in the US. I first saw it in a store in Elkton, MD. It's not yet in my area of NJ, and may have limited availability elsewhere - screwy state liquor distribution laws... :D The Danish manufacturer's website is Here. While the pages are in Danish, there are page translation websites. This company has 3-4 other mead varieties, and most are blended with brandy - apparently an old Danish custom.The Klapøjster Mjød is a spiced mead. Although they don't tell you what the spice is, I can tell it's caraway... :D

#13 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Oooh! That really sounds intriguing. Now you've given me an idea for a similar metheglyn -- I may know what to do with all the dill seed heads I still have drying in the kitchen from last year's harvest....

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

HT,The next time you're in Elkton drive a couple miles north and stop by!Congrats on the inclusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users