Photo
- - - - -

Poll: If you had to choose a house yeast

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: If you had to choose a house yeast (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these Wyeast strains?

1. 1098 British Ale (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

2. 1099 Whitbread Ale (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 1272 American Ale II (21 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

4. 1318 London Ale III (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1335 British Ale II (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 1968 London ESB (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

7. 1028 London Ale (4 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

I am choosing a house yeast and I'd be curious to hear others opinions. The majority of my recipes are made with Marris Otter (ESB's, Browns, Foreign style Stouts and Porters). However, I will also be brewing some American styles (APA, IPA, Amber). My original choice was 1272 for its reliable and clean fermentation specs, but I'm starting to think that it might compromise my ESB's and Browns. What would your choice be?

#2 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Most everything I do is a variation of an American Ale of some sorts, so I went with 1272. If I do decide to go with a different style then I certainly try and use the yeast of the region.

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

I voted American Ale II. It's actually the only one of the choices I've used. You might want to consider 2112 Cali Common. Fermented real low it is a tasty brew!

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

No losers in that list so you can't really go wrong. I like 1968 and 1028 a lot, both of the Whitbread yeasts are good, 1272 is a good choice if you want to reduce the esters a little. I'd have a hard time choosing just one but if you put a gun to my head, I'd go with 1968.

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Pardon my ignorance....What do you mean by house yeast? One that you use for everything?If so, why would you do that?

#6 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

IMO, it is a great advantage to be able to choose from multiple different yeasts, depending on the style you are brewing. I would never confine myself to one yeast for all styles. If you feel compelled to choose a house yeast to cover all styles, why not at least pick two, since it's not terribly hard to keep two strains going? Maybe the 1272 for the American styles, and your favorite of the others for the English styles?

#7 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Based on what you're looking for, I guess I'd go with 1098. It's a good clean all around yeast that works well in Amer ales when fermented cool, and works nicely in English ales a bit warmer. Easy to get attenuation in the 75-80% range, which gives you a lot of flexibility to control final product via mash temp. I'd probably not go with 1099 or 1968 due to the lower attenuation. I really like those strains, but not sure they're the best choice for an all around work horse, especially in APAs and AIPAs. I've never used 1335 so can't comment there.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

I voted for 1272 in this poll. Even though I voted like that I still feel that unless you are confined by costs the use of one strain of yeast to brew a multitude of different beers of origin I believe you are sacrificing what the true product can and should be to a consumer or customer. If you had to choose one I would say 1272 since I think it would work for the broadest range but just as they say if you brew a British beer choose a British grain. Well I say stick to the origins of your style and the intentions and origin of the yeasts considered. Have a house yeast like 1272 for american style beers and in addition use an English strain for your British style beers. Two yeast a multitude of beers and proper origins and contributions for both.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Pardon my ignorance....What do you mean by house yeast? One that you use for everything?If so, why would you do that?

My guess would be the cost savings.I'd vote but I haven't used them all so I'm not in a position to provide reliable feedback.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

My guess would be the cost savings.I'd vote but I haven't used them all so I'm not in a position to provide reliable feedback.

It's more than cost savings, although that's certainly a factor. It really helps to get to know one yeast strain inside and out and how to make it perform the way you want it to. Each strain has its own personality, if you will, and to make the most effective use of any yeast, you need to know that personality well.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

It's more than cost savings, although that's certainly a factor. It really helps to get to know one yeast strain inside and out and how to make it perform the way you want it to. Each strain has its own personality, if you will, and to make the most effective use of any yeast, you need to know that personality well.

It would also be neat to test the limits of the strain to perform under different conditions (alcohol levels, temperature, etc.).

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

It would also be neat to test the limits of the strain to perform under different conditions (alcohol levels, temperature, etc.).

Yeah, that's what I meant by "learning its personality".

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant by "learning its personality".

I figured you'd take the yeast out for coffee or something, maybe dinner - see where things go from there...

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

My noobish beer philosophy thus far has been to use a strain suitable for the style being brewed. Given that I am clueless as to beer yeast strains, that means I read yeast descriptions somewhere, look up the style I'm making, and buy what they tell me is appropriate.I get the impression from the original poster that the intent here is to use a single yeast strain for many difference styles. Is that a common choice? Can knowing your yeast's "personality" trump using a strain that is theoretically more appropriate for the style?

#15 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

Good Feedback. The reason I am in this dilemma is because it is for commercial brewing, and yeast costs about $500 so I have to be damn sure I'm going to re-use it several times. I'd prefer choosing the proper yeast for the proper style, but then I'd have to choose American or British beers exclusively until we have the production rate needed to maintain multiple strains. If I can choose a house yeast it allows me to come out with multiple varieties within the summer, but not if it's at the cost of quality.I've never used a yeast strain out of style, so I don't know how well it can work. I have more planning to do.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

My noobish beer philosophy thus far has been to use a strain suitable for the style being brewed. Given that I am clueless as to beer yeast strains, that means I read yeast descriptions somewhere, look up the style I'm making, and buy what they tell me is appropriate.I get the impression from the original poster that the intent here is to use a single yeast strain for many difference styles. Is that a common choice? Can knowing your yeast's "personality" trump using a strain that is theoretically more appropriate for the style?

I'm with you on this - I think there is some flexibility on what strain you use for a style of beer but certain strains are just unlikely to work out well for certain styles. The yeast is important which is why I use a variety. 1056 is certainly the most common though since it works for most american styles that I make.

#17 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Its not on the list, and i normally use Wyeast, but if i had to choose a strain thats falls into your category, it would be WL002. Pretty much any American or English style. Ferments hard and is extremely clear.

#18 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

Can knowing your yeast's "personality" trump using a strain that is theoretically more appropriate for the style?

I'm not so sure it would trump it, but certainly wouldn't be inappropriate if you're aware of the yeast's behavior in the conditions you're intending to use. In the example, 1272 is quite estery at warmer temps and quite clean with a touch of fruit at lower temps. I think this would make an excellent english/american compromise strain.There are certainly things that you couldn't get any of those yeasts to do (e.g. produce belgian character).I think there is value in maintaining a house yeast. After all, this is how all these great yeasts we use evolved and adapted into what they are recognized for today.

#19 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

Good Feedback. The reason I am in this dilemma is because it is for commercial brewing, and yeast costs about $500 so I have to be damn sure I'm going to re-use it several times. I'd prefer choosing the proper yeast for the proper style, but then I'd have to choose American or British beers exclusively until we have the production rate needed to maintain multiple strains. If I can choose a house yeast it allows me to come out with multiple varieties within the summer, but not if it's at the cost of quality.I've never used a yeast strain out of style, so I don't know how well it can work. I have more planning to do.

Oh yeah, that definitely changes the complexion of the issue, when you have to drop $500 for your yeast.In that case, I'd lean toward your first choice, the 1272. This one is of course good for the APAs, IPAs, etc. However, it has more character/fruitiness than the 1056, and could probably do a pretty decent job on the English styles. Especially if you learn how to tweak it for your style. Like maybe a higher fermentation temperature for an ESB in order to throw more esters?

#20 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Its not on the list, and i normally use Wyeast, but if i had to choose a strain thats falls into your category, it would be WL002. Pretty much any American or English style. Ferments hard and is extremely clear.

Aren't WLP002 and WY1968 the same thing, basically the Fullers strain? Out of curiosity, how do you get proper attenuation out of that strain for American ales, especially AIPAs, very low mash temps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users