#1 jeffdj

jeffdj

ROC Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm finally getting around to updating my bar to complete my basement finishing project. Had the last week off, so I began making what will eventually cover the chest freezer. My plan is to have it be a walk up bar, where the kegerator is against the back wall and surrounded by nice cabinetry. It will take some time, but wanted to share what I've accomplished so far.Here is the original bar. I started by putting casters under it so I can pull it out of the cabinetry to change kegs, etc.Posted ImageNext I made the front from oak ply and oak 1x4sPosted ImageThen I made a rail by shaping two 1x4's and gluing them together, then much sanding. I shaped the bigger cove by dragging the 1x4 across the table saw blade using multiple passes and raising the blade each time. Something I've never done before, but am happy with the results (considering how much I'd have to spend to buy the rail premade)Posted Image Posted ImageAnd here is what it will somewhat look like assembled. I plan to use a dark finish to match the floor of the basement. I am waiting for my new drip tray (which will be flush mounted) to arrive before I can go any further.Posted Image Thanks for looking!Jeff

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Jeff: I have great respect for those who have the vision and the talent to pull that off. Design-wise, I'm a straight guy with the beer-eye so my creativity suffers and I usually have to steal an idea and then try to make it work because I am not that handy. That thing is going to be BEE-YOU-TI-FUL when you're done. Heading out to Rochester in a few weeks to look at your handiwork and sample your beers. Get Ready! :lol:

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Damn Jeff! That looks awesome! Nice work! Ken, you are in for a treat, Jeff makes some awesome beer!

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Looks awesome!

#5 jeffdj

jeffdj

ROC Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks guys. Although it will take some time to do, I can visualize how it's all going to look now, and I'm excited about getting closer to that vision.Ken, what are you coming to Rochester for? Seriously let me know and I'll have you and Doobah over for a few :chug: Jeff

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks guys. Although it will take some time to do, I can visualize how it's all going to look now, and I'm excited about getting closer to that vision.Ken, what are you coming to Rochester for? Seriously let me know and I'll have you and Doobah over for a few :chug:Jeff

I had no plans to come to Rochester until I saw this thread! :lol:J/K... not really coming to Rochester but if I did, I'd give you a heads-up, clink a glass with you & Doobah and lend a hand staining that bar! Cheers & have fun with it.

#7 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Nice looking work...be sure you have enough airflow around the freezer motor so it doesn't overheat/burnout. Keep the pics coming Jeff!

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

That's definitely a great start. This reminds me of a member of the brewclub, who is also a member online here who built out his entire bar area himself.

#9 jeffdj

jeffdj

ROC Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

Nice looking work...be sure you have enough airflow around the freezer motor so it doesn't overheat/burnout. Keep the pics coming Jeff!

Thanks! I built a behind the front that leaves about 1 1/2 inches between it the front and the actual freezer. I'm hoping it's good enough, but I may put a few computer fans around it to ensure good airflow. I should be getting the drip tray today, so more pics should be coming soon...Jeff

#10 jeffdj

jeffdj

ROC Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Update: I finally have phase 1 of the bar finished. I'm happy with how it came out. Next I need to surround it with built ins. That pine wine rack will need to go. Eventually I'll add a stainless foot rail to make it "pop". Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh man, if I ever get down there I may never leave!

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Very nice. I like how you made those raised panels. The front of my bar looks a little "plain" and I really like the way you designed the front of yours. Nice work!

#13 jeffdj

jeffdj

ROC Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks guys. I made some new tap handles last night too. The ones on there don't really match anymore (and I want shorter ones). Andy, come on over for a beer! I have off all next week, so I'll be around.

#14 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Whoa! That is very nice. Good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users