#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I've been brewing now for several years and have started to really appreciate the simple brew. Base malt, one or two specialty malts, a bittering hop and depending on style a flavor/aroma hop. The yeast is where I may make my alterations. But seriously my favorite brews as of late have been American or British Pales/Bitters looking something like this:Pale MaltC60-C150 (1lb or less)Maybe, Just MAYBE some wheat for head retentionBitter with what ever, then finish with C Hops or Goldings depending on styleOr a small belgian:Pale/Pils MaltLittle Munich or ViennaPick an appropriate hopAnd I'm sure if I could lager it'd would be most likely:Pils/ViennaSomething Noble for a hopI'm no genius, nor am I some huge award winning brewer but the simplistic brews seem to taste the best to me!my 2 cents

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

I am with you there. I very rarely use crystal or caramel malts. They have their place, and I am by no means "anti", but I feel that they are way overused. Beer truly is delicious in simple forms if it is well executed. One of the things that I think a lot of people get caught up on when they start to brew is that they need a lot of different ingredients to get the flavors they want. It all works in their head, but I feel that it comes off muddy. Focus on your technique and you will be rewarded. Some of the best beer I have ever brewed comes from pils, saaz, water, and 3711.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10738 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

the first one is the recipe for half of the beers I brew. I use anything up to a lb of low L crystal or a few ounces of something dark C120, special B, etc. I like to play with the hop bill to taste the differences from each hop.

#4 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

My recipes are pretty much always simple, at least for the grainbill. The hops can get more complicated in certain styles.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10738 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

my other favority is a scottish ale10 lbs maris otter1/4 lb roasted barley5 ibu or so of noble/english hops

#6 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

my other favority is a scottish ale10 lbs maris otter1/4 lb roasted barley5 ibu or so of noble/english hops

You mash this high?

#7 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

My recipes are pretty much always simple, at least for the grainbill. The hops can get more complicated in certain styles.

Sounds like you and I have really similar preferences.I'm making a summer bitter right now, pale malt, a little wheat and hops.

#8 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sounds like you and I have really similar preferences.I'm making a summer bitter right now, pale malt, a little wheat and hops.

I need to do a summer bitter soon. I did one last year with MO, torrified wheat and Challenger hops that was very nice. What yeast are you planning to use?

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54110 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I also like the "Summer Bitter" idea and have used UK Pale Malt, Torrified Wheat along with something like Kent or Styrian Goldings and then 1028 or something along those lines. A very nice style that takes Blonde Ale or Cream Ale one step up. Cheers.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

I need to do a summer bitter soon. I did one last year with MO, torrified wheat and Challenger hops that was very nice. What yeast are you planning to use?

Probably some 1968 and then something as of yet determined from the brew shop. Suggestions?

#11 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Probably some 1968 and then something as of yet determined from the brew shop. Suggestions?

I used wlp002 which is the wl equivilant of 1968, I was looking to try a different English Strain this year. Not sure which yet, maybe WY1275 Thames Valley.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I think it's a stage in the progression of a brewer. At first, everybody is all hot to trot to try as many ingredients as they can. Hey this is fun! But as they gain experience, the smart ones realize that they don't need all those different ingredients. It's all about letting the ingredients that you do use be heard. If you have too many voices in there, none can be heard clearly. With only a few, each voice can be heard. Then the other thing is to have your chops down. A well-made beer always stands out even if the recipe could use some adjustment. This is one thing I've learned from judging. If I get a beer that is made well but just has some minor problems in the recipe, I'll always let the brewer know that they're on the right track. Simple but solid recipes and good technique are the keys to any beer.

#13 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I used wlp002 which is the wl equivilant of 1968, I was looking to try a different English Strain this year. Not sure which yet, maybe WY1275 Thames Valley.

That was actually the exact strain I was considering.

#14 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

I think I've started to take a much simpler "back to basics" method of brewing in the last three months. My Black Dog Cream Ale is just that...simple. 6-row, maize, single hop addition, dry yeast....oh and water! And I've had two people tell me that this batch is one of the best I've brewed in my four years as a brewer.KISS....Keep It Simple Stupid!Cheers!

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Simple recipes are great...except when they're not! I don't box myself in...I use the number of ingredients it takes to get the results I want. Sometimes it's a cpouple, sometimes it's a dozen.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Simple recipes are great...except when they're not! I don't box myself in...I use the number of ingredients it takes to get the results I want. Sometimes it's a cpouple, sometimes it's a dozen.

No question. Recipes should be as simple as possible....but no simpler.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

No question. Recipes should be as simple as possible....but no simpler.

Exactly...every ingredient should have a reason to be there!

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10738 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

You mash this high?

I mash the Scottish ale between 154-156. But I was the first gallon of run off and boil it hard for about 45 minutes in another pot before adding back to the rest of the wort in the kettle. Then I let the Scottish Ale yeast do its magic.

#19 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I mash the Scottish ale between 154-156. But I was the first gallon of run off and boil it hard for about 45 minutes in another pot before adding back to the rest of the wort in the kettle. Then I let the Scottish Ale yeast do its magic.

Nice I have done the boil down with a dark mild with Scottish Yeast, I felt it added a nice complexity to the beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users