#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:46 AM

Crap....when I brewed on Sunday, I did back to back batches. So I was filling up my pot to heat my sparge water on the second batch and that takes a few minutes so I put it on the counter to fill up in the kitchen then went outside to get a couple of other things ready. Ended up bullshitting with my brewbuddy and he says "Weren't you filling up water". I was like oh fuuuu and ran inside to find water running all over the floor. So I grabbed the shop vac and sucked it all up with the quickness. Was only 7 minutes from the time that we ran in there to the time where we couldn't see any more water. Well, this morning I noticed that the edges of the seams are lifting (this is laminate type planks). SWMBO is NOT HAPPY. She hasn't brought out the hammer of dawn yet, but I can tell she is burned up by this.So, I'm thinking bamboo flooring. Is that pretty water resistant? :D

Edited by badogg, 30 June 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28533 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

Bummer.I think pretty much any wood flooring doesn't like water, however if you clean it really fast I'd assume a thicker flooring (whatever the species) would resist warping assuming you get it dry.

#3 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

That sucks! As my mom used to say; bet you won't do that again!Sometimes it good to be single! :D

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54317 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Bad dog.I can't tell you how many times I have done something along those lines. Start filtering water into a bucket and then walk away. 2 hours and 429,850 gallons of water later... Or started to fill a primary or secondary with hot water and cleanser and then forget. I haven't killed any part of the house that my wife would have a problem with... yet.Here's a story for you though... last Spring, my sump-pump went out and apparently my Basement Watchdog/Ace In The Hole-type thing was shot too. Not good when you have a lot of rain. I had just put some of that laminate wood flooring in that part of the basement a few months earlier. I ran to the pump and whacked it with my hand and it kicked in and started pumping for what seemed like 15 minutes straight. There may have been a ½" of water on the floor and just a small amount on some carpet nearby. I got a shop broom and kept pushing the water towards the pump and then began a long Shop-Vac/Mop job that took close to a week to get back to normal. The laminate planks did start to buckle a little but it was pretty minimal. Since then, they seem to have fallen back into place quite nicely... probably just from people walking on them. When it was at its worst, you could tell there was a problem. But if you looked at it right now, you'd never know. Cheers.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Bad dog.I can't tell you how many times I have done something along those lines. Start filtering water into a bucket and then walk away. 2 hours and 429,850 gallons of water later... Or started to fill a primary or secondary with hot water and cleanser and then forget. I haven't killed any part of the house that my wife would have a problem with... yet.Here's a story for you though... last Spring, my sump-pump went out and apparently my Basement Watchdog/Ace In The Hole-type thing was shot too. Not good when you have a lot of rain. I had just put some of that laminate wood flooring in that part of the basement a few months earlier. I ran to the pump and whacked it with my hand and it kicked in and started pumping for what seemed like 15 minutes straight. There may have been a ½" of water on the floor and just a small amount on some carpet nearby. I got a shop broom and kept pushing the water towards the pump and then began a long Shop-Vac/Mop job that took close to a week to get back to normal. The laminate planks did start to buckle a little but it was pretty minimal. Since then, they seem to have fallen back into place quite nicely... probably just from people walking on them. When it was at its worst, you could tell there was a problem. But if you looked at it right now, you'd never know. Cheers.

That is reassuring actually. It really isn't that bad, it is just a couple of the seams the edges are lifted slightly. so maybe when they dry out completely it will fall back down and you would never know. *furiously crosses fingers*Edit: On another note, the beer is fermenting nicely. The smell from the airlock of the one that I used the trappist yeast is smelling nice actually. I can't wait to try it out. :D

Edited by badogg, 30 June 2009 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users