#1 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

So, my beer tastes like Mr.Wizard's butthole due to the city adding chloramine to the water. I was thinking maybe I could oak it to cover it up, any suggestions? It's a stout and also a barleywine.

#2 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Chloramine :PEdit to add: I guess this is for next time. I dont think itll do any good for the beer you already made. Maybe add coffee or something to the darker beers?

#3 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

Campden tablets (or metabisulfite) will get rid of the chloramines in your brewing water ahead of time, but I don't think it will help now.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

I dunno man. Garbage in, garbage out. Oak might cover it up a bit...might be worth a shot. Personally I have no problem dumping beer like that. Why force yourself to drink schwag beer?But next time just add a little bit of Potassium metabisulfite to your brewing liquor. That'll take care of it.

#5 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

Call it a Belgian Strong ..... :D and remember to fight it next brewI had a brew that I used a new water hose as my brew hose was frozen, tasted overly strong phenols (chlorine) from the PVC and had to chuck it

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

So, my beer tastes like Mr.Wizard's butthole ...

And how exactly do you know this?I'd suggest calling it ButtWiper and pass it off on all your "friends."Seriously dude:potassium metabisulfite.

#7 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

And how exactly do you know this?I'd suggest calling it ButtWiper and pass it off on all your "friends."Seriously dude:potassium metabisulfite.

I filter my water through a carbon filter that takes all the chloramine out, D-28 filter from Culligan

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Consign this beer to the latter half of drinking sessions. Save your good beer for the first 4 glasses, and then make the switch to the wizard-butt beer after your taste buds have become desensitized.

#9 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I filter my water through a carbon filter that takes all the chloramine out, D-28 filter from Culligan

No, it reduces chloramine, doesn't take it all out. Although the slower you filter the more effective it is.

#10 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Damn it all to hell.

#11 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

No, it reduces chloramine, doesn't take it all out. Although the slower you filter the more effective it is.

Yes, a slow fill-in... 1/2 gallon per minute

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25646 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

I barely passed HS chemistry, but seems to me you can try 1/2 to 1 a campden tablet in a 5 gallon batch that has finished fermenting and see what happens. I do not think the campden tablet will be noticeable. I know wine makers use a greater concentration and I think of wine as having a more delicate flavor profile. Maybe the chloramine molecules have already bonded to some enzyme or a glucosamine carbon chain or something, (no - I do not know what I am talking about) and the camden tablet won't do anything. But I highly doubt it will hurt anything, especially if it is that bad to begin with.zymot

#13 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

I add KMeta to my strike and sparge water. I've calculated the equivalent amount of the 1/x tablet per 5 gallon rule of thumb and it turns out be an unmeasurable (on my scale) fraction of a gram of the powder per the amount of water I use in sparge and strike. So I just use a dusting in each pot. I think it was DJ who had the great idea to fill a salt shaker with Kmeta and just put a dash into the pot. You don't need a lot of the stuff. I've had a small jar for almost 2 years, and that includes 3 wine batches. Wine uses a lot more of it.Edit... should've read better. Use Kmeta next time. For this batch... just drink it. It's better than the crap you can buy in the south anyway. :D

#14 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Of course, it won't hurt to add 1/2 campden tab to finished beer. If you naturally carb, it could retard the yeast activity. However, my guess is that your not tasting the chloramine, you're tasting the phenols that result from yeast interacting with cloramine. The damage has likely been done.I used to get by with just filtering my water with a regular carbon whole house filter, but I got a notice saying that the city was moving to chloramine. I've started using campden tabs as a safety precaution.mike h

I barely passed HS chemistry, but seems to me you can try 1/2 to 1 a campden tablet in a 5 gallon batch that has finished fermenting and see what happens. I do not think the campden tablet will be noticeable. I know wine makers use a greater concentration and I think of wine as having a more delicate flavor profile. Maybe the chloramine molecules have already bonded to some enzyme or a glucosamine carbon chain or something, (no - I do not know what I am talking about) and the camden tablet won't do anything. But I highly doubt it will hurt anything, especially if it is that bad to begin with.zymot

#15 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

I add KMeta to my strike and sparge water. I've calculated the equivalent amount of the 1/x tablet per 5 gallon rule of thumb and it turns out be an unmeasurable (on my scale) fraction of a gram of the powder per the amount of water I use in sparge and strike. So I just use a dusting in each pot. I think it was DJ who had the great idea to fill a salt shaker with Kmeta and just put a dash into the pot. You don't need a lot of the stuff. I've had a small jar for almost 2 years, and that includes 3 wine batches. Wine uses a lot more of it.Edit... should've read better. Use Kmeta next time. For this batch... just drink it. It's better than the crap you can buy in the south anyway. :D

I'm glad this came up (though I'm sorry about your beer reTodd...I would drink it by the way...I thought the coffee was a good idea). Coming over from winemaking I was wondering why Kmeta was not used considering beer is more susceptible to infection. Is there a down side to using it?

#16 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

I'm glad this came up (though I'm sorry about your beer reTodd...I would drink it by the way...I thought the coffee was a good idea). Coming over from winemaking I was wondering why Kmeta was not used considering beer is more susceptible to infection. Is there a down side to using it?

Only downside I could think of is in adding too much. Because I add it before the boil and fermentation, I guess it's possible that some of it might stick around until I pitch the yeast. If there's any in there when you pitch it could cause a slow start, or no start at all, depending on how much. Since I use fractions of grams, I don't worry about this. I've never used it in the way that you use it for wine though, I only use it to (theoretically) remove chloramine. I'm not sure that beer would benefit from a large dosage of KMeta like wine does. Even on the wine kits I've done, I dont use it as a sanitizer, just for anti-oxidizing.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

Of course, it won't hurt to add 1/2 campden tab to finished beer. If you naturally carb, it could retard the yeast activity. However, my guess is that your not tasting the chloramine, you're tasting the phenols that result from yeast interacting with cloramine. The damage has likely been done.

This is correct.

#18 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

It's really not that bad. Cold and slightly carbed is already a tremendous improvement. It tastes a lot like Old Rasputin so I'm callin it an imperial stout even though stylewise etc it doesnt fit, I dont care I brew for my drinking pleasure, nothing else. This is actually the beer I brewed in my video, I'm just now getting around to kegging it :cheers: Anyway, here's what I'm calling it. Posted Image

#19 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Results are in for the pseudo-stout. I took a mason jar and added some oak chips and sampled daily for a week. The oak really softened the phenolic flavor. The coffee seemed to make it sharper. So I'm oaking the entire keg. As for the barleywine I'm gonna experiment with vanilla and oak. I'll let you know how it goes. I was surprised that of all the discussions about chloramine online none are about how to mask this god awful flavor. Imma be a trend setter :scratch:

#20 reDough

reDough

Comptroller of Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

How can I hang one of those stainless tea balls in the keg? I was thinking fishing line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users