6 replies to this topic

#1 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8028 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Contrary to what the recipe implies the bourbon is required. Unless you're lamePumpkin Bread Pudding1 1/2 cups whole milk (Or 1 cup heavy cream plus 1/2 cup whole milk)3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin1/2 cup sugar2 large eggs plus 1 yolk1/2 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/8 teaspoon ground allspicePinch of ground cloves2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)5 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old baguette or crusty bread3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted* (can skip this step if using the second set of instructions)Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.Gourmet’s Instructions: Whisk together pumpkin, cream, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, spices and bourbon, if using, in a bowl.Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish and bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.Alternate, Come On, Be Lazy With Me, instructions: While preheating oven to 350°F with rack in middle, melt butter in bottom of a 8-inch square baking dish. Once it is melted, take it out of the oven and toss bread cubes with butter, coating thoroughly. In a separate bowl, whisk together all the remaining ingredients. Pour them over buttered bread cubes in baking dish, stirring to make sure all pieces are evenly coated. Bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

If I hear rumor of this being made without bourbon, I will delete this recipe :P

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Could you suggest a good bourbon to go with this recipe? I'm thinking it doesn't need to be a top shelf bourbon.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I haven't made this recipe, but I think you are correct. I wouldn't scrape the bottom shelf, but I wouldn't spend a lot either

#5 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'm making this recipe looks tasty.I suppose like wine cook with the same bourbon you would drink.

#6 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Could you suggest a good bourbon to go with this recipe? I'm thinking it doesn't need to be a top shelf bourbon.

I use Jack for this (I know it is a TN whiskey instead of bourbon but it works) and then drizzle the top with a Jack Daniels caramel sauce. Serve with Dulche de Leche ice cream and you are golden.

#7 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8028 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Its such a small amount of bourbon that I don't mind using what I have on hand. I've had good results with maker's mark. I tend to like a bourbon on the sweeter side of things for cooking. I love the idea of a bourbon caramel topping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users