#1 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

So I'm taking the plunge and buying a therminator really soon. The connectors seem to be pretty expensive, considering I'm already paying $200+ for it. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative? I also would imagine that there is a less expensive backflow option to keep it clean. Feel free to call me cheap if you want, but I would love it if someone knew of something that would work for less money.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

What connectors are you talking about? It says the water side connections are garden hose thread and the wort side are 1/2" NPT. There aren't any connectors included.

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28513 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

I bought one set (two) of those connections (Edit I'm assuming you're talking about the NPT x hose barb fittings that they sell as an accessory) and use them on the wort out line, one for my wort line which has a trumometer in it and one for a plain tube line that I back flow through or use when I cycle boiling water, etc. On the wort in I'm using a brass ball valve which has a quick disconnect for my pump hose on the other side. For the water connections I have plastic garden hose quick disconnect (male fittings).

Edited by pods8, 29 June 2009 - 12:44 PM.

#4 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

Well, I guess I'll just go to the hardware store. Thanks to everyone for attempting to answer my question. :D

#5 dnb

dnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Well, I guess I'll just go to the hardware store. Thanks to everyone for attempting to answer my question. :D

These are the best prices I've found anywhere for fittings and valves. https://stores.shop....634Q2ec0Q2em322

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

picked brass works just fine.

#7 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

These are the best prices I've found anywhere for fittings and valves. https://stores.shop....634Q2ec0Q2em322

which one of those will fit the chiller? I'm sorry, I'm not very plumbing savvy.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

It seems that those are all male ended, and the therminator has male ports. I took this pic when I was looking for a male to male fitting, mine is a shirron plate, your therminator is much nicer, but the ports will still be the same- just on opposing sides.Posted ImageIf you get screw on hose barbs, it will be a PITA every time you want to clean it, which will be after every brew. QDs I feel are an absolute must, I opted to go cheap on the water ports, and CPC on the wort ports. My garden hose also has a QD so I can connect various fittings and nozzles. Now when it comes to backflushing, the QDs make it very easy, because now I snap on the fitting shown just above the hose, and that now connects to the wort side, and flushes the plate. I then flush the other direction and it is now 99% clean. (Then I boil it and run sanitizer through) Hope any of that helps.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28513 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Did you mean to use a sarcasm smiley there? I told you exactly what is on my system. You vaguely asked about "connectors" and I assumed you meant these https://www.blichman...ckConnector.htm I only use them on the wort out and at the time spent some time looking for another means but didn't find anything I liked readily available (ie NPT x hose barb with a swivel nut that accepted an o-ring). The wort in uses a standard ball valve on the terminator and then a connection to the brass quick disconnects I use in my pumping system but the connection to the therminator itself is the ball valve. The water side is just plastic garden hose quick disconnects you get at the hardware store for cheap. How did that not attempt to answer your question?

#10 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Did you mean to use a sarcasm smiley there? I told you exactly what is on my system. You vaguely asked about "connectors" and I assumed you meant these https://www.blichman...ckConnector.htm I only use them on the wort out and at the time spent some time looking for another means but didn't find anything I liked readily available (ie NPT x hose barb with a swivel nut that accepted an o-ring). The wort in uses a standard ball valve on the terminator and then a connection to the brass quick disconnects I use in my pumping system but the connection to the therminator itself is the ball valve. The water side is just plastic garden hose quick disconnects you get at the hardware store for cheap. How did that not attempt to answer your question?

My question centered around finding a cheaper source for the same type of connector. You still have not attempted to cite any cheaper source, or even told me anything that I can even remotely understand. I'm not looking for technical jargon, I'm looking to see if I can get the same thing cheaper. If the answer is no, then a simple no would suffice.

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28513 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

My question centered around finding a cheaper source for the same type of connector. You still have not attempted to cite any cheaper source, or even told me anything that I can even remotely understand. I'm not looking for technical jargon, I'm looking to see if I can get the same thing cheaper. If the answer is no, then a simple no would suffice.

Since when has "ball valve", "brass quick connect", and "plastic garden hose quick disconnect" become technical jargon and not a regular old description of the product? If you're looking for someone else who provides the exact same part as blichmann, I never found them when I was looking a couple years ago. We're tinkerers on this board and as such tend to have some basic common sense about components, either ask questions nicely if you don't understand something or go buy the finished product if you're going to walk around with an attitude like that since most posts about DIY projects are going to have big words like that. Sorry I didn't have a specific link because you obviously just want some point and click link rather than trying to read a few simple sentences of English.I was trying to point out how I set up my system cost effectively (for what I wanted) by buying only a pack of two of those connectors to make the 3/8" connection to tubing that I wanted to use to go into my fermentor. Those fittings are the best bet to make the transition to 3/8" tubing in my mind. One tube has the thrumometer on it and I swap that out for a plain tube when I do boiling water recirculation because the thrumometer isn't supposed to go over 140. Make sense? On the wort in I used a regular brass ball valve (HOME DEPOT) to connect to the chiller. The other side of the ball valve is a brass quick disconnect I use on my pumping tubes, the same ones many guys on the board use that can be bought from McMaster, if you are unfamiliar and want info try asking rather than being a snot about it.Both water connections I have a basic plastic garden hose quick disconnect male piece (HOME DEPOT) and then on my hoses I attach up to direct water flow I have the basic plastic garden hose quick disconnect female piece (HOME DEPOT).

#12 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

quote: "If you're looking for someone else who provides the exact same part as blichmann, I never found them when I was looking a couple years ago."See, wasn't that simple? We could've be done with this conversation right then.

#13 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28513 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

quote: "If you're looking for someone else who provides the exact same part as blichmann, I never found them when I was looking a couple years ago."See, wasn't that simple? We could've be done with this conversation right then.

Sorry for having a dialogue about the some options and trying to be helpful, apparently I didn't get a rule book for responding to chefmiller questions yet about only speaking when spoken to or some BS. Is it okay if I go to the bathroom too? :angry:

#14 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

#1 or #2?

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

But you didn't even post the link to the connector you were looking for an alternative for. There might be a cheaper source I can cite, but I don't know what you're looking for.

#16 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

https://www.blichman...ckConnector.htm

#17 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28513 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

#1 or #2?

1, the caffeine is going through me.

But you didn't even post the link to the connector you were looking for an alternative for. There might be a cheaper source I can cite, but I don't know what you're looking for.

Bingo, I assumed he was talking about the ones the manufacturer offers and I posted a link eventually but with a vague intro post I was pretty surprised this poster is throwing attitude out when we're just filling in ways to set up a system.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

https://www.blichman...ckConnector.htm

Well, you can probably put that together for cheaper than $18 a pair, but only by a few dollars and the shipping charges would kill the deal anyway.

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Well, you can probably put that together for cheaper than $18 a pair, but only by a few dollars and the shipping charges would kill the deal anyway.

And on top of that, there is nothing "quick" about those anyway. You still need to screw these on each time you use it, QDs are so much more valuable, (and actually cheaper too)

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

And on top of that, there is nothing "quick" about those anyway. You still need to screw these on each time you use it, QDs are so much more valuable, (and actually cheaper too)

I agree, a real QD would be much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users