#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I am going to enter my G-MLPA into the Best Florida Beer Championships Homebrew Competition.Information on the recipe...This is Ken Lenard's MLPA recipe fermented with Wyeast 1007 - German Ale. I think it really give this beer a lot more character and makes it super tasty.7.25 lbs American Pale Malt1 lb Crystal 60°L12 oz Malted Wheat (mash temp 152°)5 to 5.5 AAU Mt. Hood pellets for 60 minutesWYeast 1007 German AleOG: 1.048, FG: 1.012, IBU: 24, SRM: 10, ABV: 4.8%Couple questions:1. What category would this beer best fit into? It's on the very low IBU end for an amber ale (10B), and not nearly enough hops for a pale ale (10A). My best guess is 10B.2. Bottling - I don't have enough time to bottle condition the beer and clear it. I only have until Feb 8th to get it entered, and if I bottled tonight I just might be able to condition it and clear it in time, but it would be cutting it REALLY close. So, I am thinking about force carbonating it and then bottling. I have done this before, but never for a beer that was going to be in a bottle for more than a few days. Basically, I clean and sanitize the bottle, then I chill the bottle, set the pressure really low on the keg, and use a long piece of serving tube over the end of a perlick faucet to load in the beer. I might be able to flush the bottle with CO2 first if I'm careful. What would the beer forum brain trust do???Cheers,Rich

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I am going to enter my G-MLPA into the Best Florida Beer Championships Homebrew Competition.Information on the recipe...This is Ken Lenard's MLPA recipe fermented with Wyeast 1007 - German Ale. I think it really give this beer a lot more character and makes it super tasty.7.25 lbs American Pale Malt1 lb Crystal 60°L12 oz Malted Wheat (mash temp 152°)5 to 5.5 AAU Mt. Hood pellets for 60 minutesWYeast 1007 German AleOG: 1.048, FG: 1.012, IBU: 24, SRM: 10, ABV: 4.8%Couple questions:1. What category would this beer best fit into? It's on the very low IBU end for an amber ale (10B), and not nearly enough hops for a pale ale (10A). My best guess is 10B.2. Bottling - I don't have enough time to bottle condition the beer and clear it. I only have until Feb 8th to get it entered, and if I bottled tonight I just might be able to condition it and clear it in time, but it would be cutting it REALLY close. So, I am thinking about force carbonating it and then bottling. I have done this before, but never for a beer that was going to be in a bottle for more than a few days. Basically, I clean and sanitize the bottle, then I chill the bottle, set the pressure really low on the keg, and use a long piece of serving tube over the end of a perlick faucet to load in the beer. I might be able to flush the bottle with CO2 first if I'm careful.What would the beer forum brain trust do???Cheers,Rich

If you are worried about 02 maybe cap on foam. Letting foam fill the headspace when you cap it should drive out the 02 as well.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

I would force carbonate it and bottle as you described. I have heard of some brewers, it may have been Gordon Stong, who use 2l soda bottles and then pour from there into the beer bottle. I would not worry about it.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Drink some of the beer as you read through the sty;e guidelines of each category you're thinking of entering. Enter it into whichever category it tastes like. If it doesn't fit any of them, you may want to reconsider entering. It could be a great beer, but if it doesn't hit the style guidelines right on, it won't score well.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Drink some of the beer as you read through the sty;e guidelines of each category you're thinking of entering. Enter it into whichever category it tastes like. If it doesn't fit any of them, you may want to reconsider entering. It could be a great beer, but if it doesn't hit the style guidelines right on, it won't score well.

agreed!

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Very wise. Unfortunately its the only beer I have available at the moment for entering. :(

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Also, I figured a beer like MLPA was wide enough known to the board here that you all could place it pretty easily.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Also, I figured a beer like MLPA was wide enough known to the board here that you all could place it pretty easily.

Not without tasting it. LIke I said, if it doesn't fit a category you may want to think about skipping the comp. You can enter it for feedback, but the feedback may be that it diesn't fit the category you entered.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

I think the problem is that it's too much of a hybrid beer. what you have there is half bitter and half alt (sort of).

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Very wise. Unfortunately its the only beer I have available at the moment for entering. :(

I've never had an entry score well that had to be shoehorned into a category after brewing it. Of course it needs to be a good beer to score well, but also it's a measure of how well the brewer does when zeroing in on a style.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well then maybe its a Cat 23, specialty beer. It barely meets the amber guidlines, IMO.

10B. American Amber AleAroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character. Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately large off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties, which often but not always has a citrusy quality. Malt flavors are moderate to strong, and usually show an initial malty sweetness followed by a moderate caramel flavor (and sometimes other character malts in lesser amounts). Malt and hop bitterness are usually balanced and mutually supportive. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Caramel sweetness and hop flavor/bitterness can linger somewhat into the medium to full finish. No diacetyl.Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth.Overall Impression: Like an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be significant).Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).History: Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. Medium to dark crystal malts. May also contain specialty grains which add additional character and uniqueness. American hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used. Water can vary in sulfate and carbonate content.

It has everything but the hops, really. Cheers,Rich

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Unless there's something really special about it, it might not do well in 23, either, against more radical beers. Are you really dead set on entering?

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Unless there's something really special about it, it might not do well in 23, either, against more radical beers. Are you really dead set on entering?

I've never been a guidelines kind of brewer. I don't really care about style, I care about really friggin tasty beer. What I am really after is honest feedback about the beer. The homebrew club I'm in isn't really technical when it comes to tastings, so its tough to tell who is blowing smoke and who really likes it. I always tell be to be brutally honest about my beer, I want to become a better brewer and I figured entering competitions would help that. BUT, you are right, if I don't have something that screams out as a particular style its not gonna score well.Is it worth entering to get tasting notes other than scores? I'm not sure how its done so I don't even know if judges will say something like, "Fantastic beer! But not really to style." I guess that is probably a personal preference by the judge.Cheers,Rich

#14 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33971 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

this. i've had judges write that they really like the beer, and want the recipe. but scored it low as they thought it was the wrong color for that style. even though my software said it would be in the range.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

I've never been a guidelines kind of brewer. I don't really care about style, I care about really friggin tasty beer. What I am really after is honest feedback about the beer. The homebrew club I'm in isn't really technical when it comes to tastings, so its tough to tell who is blowing smoke and who really likes it. I always tell be to be brutally honest about my beer, I want to become a better brewer and I figured entering competitions would help that.BUT, you are right, if I don't have something that screams out as a particular style its not gonna score well.Is it worth entering to get tasting notes other than scores? I'm not sure how its done so I don't even know if judges will say something like, "Fantastic beer! But not really to style." I guess that is probably a personal preference by the judge.Cheers,Rich

I'd find some people you trust to give honest feed back and do it that way. I think the judges are mostly looking that you brewed to style and that you avoided any off flavors.

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I've never been a guidelines kind of brewer. I don't really care about style, I care about really friggin tasty beer. What I am really after is honest feedback about the beer. The homebrew club I'm in isn't really technical when it comes to tastings, so its tough to tell who is blowing smoke and who really likes it. I always tell be to be brutally honest about my beer, I want to become a better brewer and I figured entering competitions would help that.BUT, you are right, if I don't have something that screams out as a particular style its not gonna score well.Is it worth entering to get tasting notes other than scores? I'm not sure how its done so I don't even know if judges will say something like, "Fantastic beer! But not really to style." I guess that is probably a personal preference by the judge.Cheers,Rich

In that case I would enter Cat 23, and try to be as specific as possible about what you intended to brew. Hopefully when the judges see that you will get the feedback you want. At the least you should have any brewing defects pointed out. But, I've entered Cat 23 with specifics about the beer and the comments were "it would be nice to know what you were trying to brew". It really takes several entries of the same beer to be able to sort out the scoring and comments.

this. i've had judges write that they really like the beer, and want the recipe. but scored it low as they thought it was the wrong color for that style. even though my software said it would be in the range.

That's surprising, appearance is only 3 points. In my limited judging I've never given a 0 and probably no lower than 2.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

As everyone has said, because it's obviously not an iconic example of a style, it's probably not going to score outstandingly in any category. I've entered beers that I knew were out of guidelines and some have done poorly and some have done okay when they were decent enough beers to deserve some favorable comments like "very drinkable", which could fit this beer. Probably could do okay as an American Amber. Probably would have done better with some flavor hops.That beer is a little rich in Crystal Malt, but otherwise it's not unlike some British Pale Ales that I've had. Maybe if you throw a little dry hops in while it is carbonating it would fit there.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

As everyone has said, because it's obviously not an iconic example of a style, it's probably not going to score outstandingly in any category. I've entered beers that I knew were out of guidelines and some have done poorly and some have done okay when they were decent enough beers to deserve some favorable comments like "very drinkable", which could fit this beer. Probably could do okay as an American Amber. Probably would have done better with some flavor hops.That beer is a little rich in Crystal Malt, but otherwise it's not unlike some British Pale Ales that I've had. Maybe if you throw a little dry hops in while it is carbonating it would fit there.

I agree with this post myselfmaybe try picking the 2 closest categories and entering it in both

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Exactly this...I brewed an IPA once, or what I thought was going to be an IPA...I used a light dusting of a few specialty malts that I thought would balance out my hop profile, turned out the hops had degraded faster than I thought and it was a lot more on the maltier side when all was said and done...So it went from Papa Bear IPA to Papa Bear Old Ale and took a gold.

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you are really looking for feedback on a beer that is not squarely in a style, I agree with getting a panel of trusted samplers and have them taste it. Tell them up front you are looking for their perceptions and feedback.To help facilitate the feedback, ask open questions like "Waht are you tasting because I taste _____". (if it is the case) "I think there is a slight problem with it, but I want to see if you detect the same thing." (btw it is important not to tell them what you think the problem is because of power of suggestion). Finally, I would always ask what they would change.These questions can help to draw out good feedback and it reinforces that you want all comments good and bad and not just "mmmm, good beer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users