• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jerzeyramfan

jerzeyramfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

I am confused about how to regulate my PSI delivered to the keg when the CO2 bottle is stored in the refrigerator. I know that as the CO2 cools, the pressure within the bottle drops as does the pressure applied to the keg, right? My question is: If I were to adjust the regulator AT ROOM TEMP to apply 12 PSI to my keg - then refrigerate the keg/CO2, the readings on the regulator drop significantly. So do I now need to raise the pressure to 12 PSI after the CO2 is cooled? Or was the adjustment made while the CO2 was at room temp still the correct setting?

#2 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

The pressure coming out of the regulator is the same regardless of where it is, cool or warm. It may need to be adjusted to get to that pressure depending on where it is, but the pressure delivered is the same. So if you were to move your tank set at 12 psi into the cool after the screw is set, the pressure will drop some after you move it. However if you adjust the screw to match the 12 psi, then that is what gets delivered to your keg. Not too sure why you would want to bring the bottle in/out for carbing or serving, but if you do, just adjust til you get the right regulator pressure.

#3 jerzeyramfan

jerzeyramfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the reply! I am not actually moving the CO2 around. I am new to kegging and I had set the regulator before the fridge had cooled it down.... then I wasn't sure if I needed to increase the pressure back to 12 or leave it where it was before it cooled.

#4 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Re-adjust your regulator to the desired pressure once the co2 tank has settled at the temp at which it will be stored. Also, keep in mind that it may take some regulators a while (up to several hours) to "settle" and show the new pressure after they're adjusted, especially when they're cold. Hope that makes sense. In other words, you turn the screw until the needle shows 12psi, come back 5 hours later and it may show 13psi.

#5 jerzeyramfan

jerzeyramfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

Gotcha. Thanks very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users