#1 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

You already know, I'm a proud owner of a barrel of sour beer. I pulled 10 gallon off last week. I'm very happy with the brew. The question I want to ask. Is that I pulled the beer from the bottom of the barrel there was no settlement. I want to add some of this beer to Raspberries. The lack of settlement siphoning off is pretty strange for me. Would there be enough wild ones in suspension to turn the Raspberries into something drinkable. The beer has been setting for nine months. I'm thinking there might be a lack of balance.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Just curious, what did you add originally to sour it? Recipe?Lambic brewers typically wait 1-2 years before adding fruit, and then they wait about 6-8 months after that. So I would think you are fine...If they don't start fermenting (give it some time) you could always pitch some more bugs anyway.

#3 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

White labs and Wyeast Lambic blends also added the stepped up bottle dregs of any Good Euro beer I could get my hands on. Guess it's true about Brett eating up Saccharomyces. I'm getting Raspberries next weekend. Going with a glass carboy with plastic cap.

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

Most likely you still have plenty of bugs and yeast in suspension to munch through the raspberries. Be ready for an explosive fermentation when you rack onto the fruit. What's the ABV roughly of your brew now? If it's really high, like 8% you could have some trouble but as long as your lower like 5 or 6% ABV range the critters should take off.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

Most likely you still have plenty of bugs and yeast in suspension to munch through the raspberries. Be ready for an explosive fermentation when you rack onto the fruit. What's the ABV roughly of your brew now? If it's really high, like 8% you could have some trouble but as long as your lower like 5 or 6% ABV range the critters should take off.

Alcohol tolerance of various critters:Acetobacter - 18%Brettanomyces - 18%Enterobacter - 2%Lactobacillus - 8%Pediococcus - 8%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users