#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

I'm digging this one. 75% Gr. Pils and 25% flaked spelt. Wyeast 1010 with a charge of Cents and Amarillo for FWH and the same for a power off (flameout) addition. With the yeast, spelt and C-hops it's almost like someone dropped a piece of citrus in it. 1.051 OG - what a great summer beer. Pretty much along the lines of Cat 6D which I also did 10 gal of rye and wheat since the 1010 was around. About 35 IBUs. Still a bit cloudy - that spelt has a bit of protien.

Edited by dj in kc, 22 June 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#2 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

Sounds delicious, C-hop and 6D is a match made in heaven. Where did you find the spelt, a whole-foodsy place, and did it have that spicyness I get with rye? Or how would you describe the flavor adition. I'm doing a 10g am wheat later in the week, gonna split it one will get 1010 the other 2112. Its an Oberon clone so we'll see which is more authentic.

#3 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:47 AM

yeah, I've been playing around with spelt a little bit lately also. Pretty cool stuff. That cloudiness will clear after a good long time. For me, it took about two weeks after ferment, but it happened like overnight, and was super clear all of a sudden! I think the taste is very much like wheat, but with more tanginess. Very good for summer beer, for sure.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Sounds delicious, C-hop and 6D is a match made in heaven. Where did you find the spelt, a whole-foodsy place, and did it have that spicyness I get with rye? Or how would you describe the flavor adition. I'm doing a 10g am wheat later in the week, gonna split it one will get 1010 the other 2112. Its an Oberon clone so we'll see which is more authentic.

It's similar to wheat but definitely a different grain. Maybe a slight rye-like spice to it and definitely tangy. Yeah, the wife graciously picked it up for me at WF. I had her get an extra pound - hinting for some cookies........ I think it would work well in a Wit too. After talking to Drew he may use it in a Berliner Weisse.I suppose Swagman will start laughing at me (again) for putting Dinkel in my beer........ <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users