#1 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

So I thought I'd try going straight from primary to keg. But my pale ale, after 15 days in the primary, is still pretty darn cloudy (I used S-05). Do you guys go ahead and keg and let the rest of the yeast settle out in the keg? Or do you wait for it to clear? I don't have the ability to cold-crash, so I've only been able to get it down to 64F to try to speed it along. I'd really like to get this into the keg, since I'm out of homebrew. Should I switch to a more flocculent yeast strain if I want to do the primary-only thing?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

So I thought I'd try going straight from primary to keg. But my pale ale, after 15 days in the primary, is still pretty darn cloudy (I used S-05). Do you guys go ahead and keg and let the rest of the yeast settle out in the keg? Or do you wait for it to clear? I don't have the ability to cold-crash, so I've only been able to get it down to 64F to try to speed it along. I'd really like to get this into the keg, since I'm out of homebrew. Should I switch to a more flocculent yeast strain if I want to do the primary-only thing?

In this case I would recommend knox gelatin, 1 packet mixed with a cup of warm water, add to the beer as soon as you rack into the keg.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Keg it - it will be cloudy for a while but you'll have beer to drink. S-04 and Nottingham seem to floc out pretty well for future reference (I'm assuming you'd like to use dry yeast).

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I say if you like to use finings and such go Micullen's way. If your kegerator is cold and I would assume it is then put it in the keg and let it go. Cold crashing can do a lot to clear a beer. I don't think a pale needs to be brillantly clear but its your beer and your methods too. If it were me I would keg it and start drinking after you carbonate it for awhile.

#5 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Keg it - it will be cloudy for a while but you'll have beer to drink. S-04 and Nottingham seem to floc out pretty well for future reference (I'm assuming you'd like to use dry yeast).

I don't mind a little cloudiness. I usually get a little chill haze in my pale ales anyway. I just don't like a ton of yeast in my beer.I like to use both dry yeast and liquid yeast, depending on what I'm making. For pale ales and IPAs, I really like the clean fermentation I get with US-05.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

check this out. Ken explains how he uses it in his kegs. And we have all seen his lovely beer pron.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

I have used 05 plenty of times and find that if you give it a third week in the fermenter, it will drop out more. First few may be a bit cloudy, but longer its in there, the better (clearer) it will get.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just think of the keg as a secondary. Let the yeast settle out in the keg especially if you can now cold crash it. Transfer to another keg if needed. I have never secondaried. I primary 2-3 weeks, cold crash and keg. The first 1/2 pint runs cloudy and it's clear from there to the end of the keg.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

I say if you like to use finings and such go Micullen's way. If your kegerator is cold and I would assume it is then put it in the keg and let it go. Cold crashing can do a lot to clear a beer. I don't think a pale needs to be brillantly clear but its your beer and your methods too. If it were me I would keg it and start drinking after you carbonate it for awhile.

Cold crashing will be great , but since he is going straight to keg , there is gonna be a lot of sediment, so i recommended the gealtin, as it wil help to keep the sediment from stirring up very much once it does settle.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Cold crashing will be great , but since he is going straight to keg , there is gonna be a lot of sediment, so i recommended the gealtin, as it wil help to keep the sediment from stirring up very much once it does settle.

Good suggestion Micullen. I have to say I am not much of a finings or gelatin user. I do secondaries on all my beers exception Hefe of course. I think your idea is good though because I was just looking at a Tripel I brewed three weeks ago. Its been in secondary at room temp for about a week and a half and there is like an inch or so of sediment. Thats why I can't get myself to go straight to keg from primary even if its 2 3 4 weeks in primary as well. I don't want all that sediment in a keg and while I do get some now, thanks to secondary I get minimal sediment in my kegs and the clarity of my beers is really good too.

#11 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

All my beers secondary in kegs. I do add 4 ounces by weight of sugar to carb it while it's aging. Just chill it down for a few days. Put a Dragon tap on it and expel settlement till clear before moving it.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:06 AM

I don't mind a little cloudiness. I usually get a little chill haze in my pale ales anyway. I just don't like a ton of yeast in my beer.I like to use both dry yeast and liquid yeast, depending on what I'm making. For pale ales and IPAs, I really like the clean fermentation I get with US-05.

I've always found wyeast 1056 to clear up pretty well - I'm not sure how it compares with US-05 though since I've only used US-05 one time.

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

I've always found wyeast 1056 to clear up pretty well - I'm not sure how it compares with US-05 though since I've only used US-05 one time.

I used US-05 a few times this year. Imperial Amber, Imperial IPA, Ken's MLPA. I think its pretty flocculent and enables a nice clear beer as well. Its my go to dry yeast as well.

#14 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:56 AM

I go straight to the keg from the fermenter all the time. First pint or two will be cloudy but they are clear after that.

#15 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

I just recently stopped using a secondary. I have started going 3 weeks in the fermenter, then 1 week in the keg under pressure before serving. The first pint is cloudy, then it levels off. I use at lot of US05 and don't have any problems doing it this way. I think most of the sediment is actually yeast I stirred up during racking rather than yeast that hasn't floccuated out.

#16 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

Oh, I get it. I thought the gelatin was just for clarity. Didn't realize that it would help keep the sediment on the bottom. Beer's in the keg now, carbing and cooling. I could still add the gelatin, I suppose.

#17 AAASTINKIE

AAASTINKIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

I cut 1 1/4 inch off the pick-up tube in all my beer kegs to help not pickup sediment.

#18 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

I cut 1 1/4 inch off the pick-up tube in all my beer kegs to help not pickup sediment.

+1 and I also always go from primary to keg. I mainly brew pale ales and use US-05 predominately (usually 2 to 3 weeks in primary then keg, chill, and force carb). I notice little/no cloudiness in any beer once I've let it sit in the kegerator chilling overnight. I also use Irish Moss during the last 15 min of the boil.

#19 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

I have another approach. I leave the dip tube long and hope to pick up all the sediment on the first pint. I need to move my kegs from time to time and the I just let the sediment settle each move would probably put it back in suspension and I'd have to wait for it to clear again.

#20 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

I don't want all that sediment in a keg and while I do get some now, thanks to secondary I get minimal sediment in my kegs and the clarity of my beers is really good too.

+1This is the main reason i rack to secondary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users