#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Nice stout. Has nice roasty flavor, still force carbing up but I was impatient, but I was able to nudge a little head from it. Nice brown head. The beer itself is REALLY dark. I might try to up the hops next time as this one seems a little on the weak side in that department for my taste. Not much more, but some to give it a little more. Definitely going in to my recipe database. Thanks to whoever came up with this one! :D

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

I think this recipe originated from brewboard and was created by Jimvy I believe the screenname was as well. I have not brewed it just read a lot on it as well.Badogg you must have caved. You said you transferred to keg to carbonate in the recipe swap and didn't taste it. Ha its all good. Sounds like a fine beer and one I should brew by fall as well.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

I think this recipe originated from brewboard and was created by Jimvy I believe the screenname was as well. I have not brewed it just read a lot on it as well.Badogg you must have caved. You said you transferred to keg to carbonate in the recipe swap and didn't taste it. Ha its all good. Sounds like a fine beer and one I should brew by fall as well.

Yeah I totally caved. Went home for lunch and decided to pull a little sip off. :rolleyes:

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Yeah I totally caved. Went home for lunch and decided to pull a little sip off. :rolleyes:

Nice thats sweet that you can make it home during lunch from work. If I went home and had a sip I would surely not make it back for the afternoon as well.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Nice thats sweet that you can make it home during lunch from work. If I went home and had a sip I would surely not make it back for the afternoon as well.

Really nice that my boss tells me that he really doesn't care if we drink beer, do shots, smoke weed, snort coke as long as we do our jobs. Never went past the beer part as I don't really have use for the others mentioned. :rolleyes:

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Really nice that my boss tells me that he really doesn't care if we drink beer, do shots, smoke weed, snort coke as long as we do our jobs. Never went past the beer part as I don't really have use for the others mentioned. :rolleyes:

I am with you on that assessment. Good deal and good boss. Enoy the perks!!

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

Jim did a nice job. One of the few recipes that I will pretty much follow the directions. OTOH, the first time I made it was from an old recipe that assumed 65% efficiency - mine turned out quite a bit higher. I've had both and probably prefer the higher gravity version.Even the Fuggles belong in this one. :rolleyes: :notworthy:

#8 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

Jim did a nice job. One of the few recipes that I will pretty much follow the directions. OTOH, the first time I made it was from an old recipe that assumed 65% efficiency - mine turned out quite a bit higher. I've had both and probably prefer the higher gravity version.Even the Fuggles belong in this one. :rolleyes: :notworthy:

I got the exact opposite gravity - second all-grain batch ever, didn't sitr the mash (just poured in and left it) - got 50% efficiency and way under target gravity, and still a very good beer.

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Good call on the fuggles dj, I agree I do not use fuggles in any other recipe, but when I need a beer for the nitrogen faucet, I turn to jimvy's recipe and do not substitute. This recipe is truly a legacy and cheers to jimvy and its following! This beer has also given me a couple 1st place finishes as well, thanks jimvy!

#10 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

Thanks all. Appreciate the kind words and glad to see people are still making this and enjoying it. If you didn't dial in your efficiency or IBUs, make it again....it's worth getting it exact if you can. I've tasted a dozen versions of this beer and it's surprising how different it has tasted based on minor differences.

#11 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

This beer is good enough to enter into Samuel Adams Long shot.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:09 AM

I don't think that says a lot :)

#13 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

Good enough to win long shot :)

#14 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

I agree, but I am also in the camp that thinks this beer is at it most super awesomest on beergas. That is not possible for us in comp.I wouldn't be surprised if it did well in Longshot with regular CO2 levels/serving as well though.I cant even remember how many times I have made it. It is my goto oatmeal stout and such a great beer.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Even the Fuggles belong in this one. :) :)

that right there is a sign of respect Ladies and Gentleman!

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:08 PM

Wow, it REALLY gets better as it conditions in the keg. Not fully carbed yet but is a lot better today than it was yestrday. Definitely going to make this often. Great job Jimvy!

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

I give QSS no less than a month of conditioning. It still gets better after that, but for me the month is a minimum.

#18 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

I have two cases of vanilla bean QSS sitting at cellar temps in my parent's basement back home that is coming up one a year in bottle WOOOOOOOO!Going home on the 5th and the first thing I'll be doing is loading up the fridge with homebrew that's been waiting for me to return oooooooo yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users