#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ok so for the week of July 4th. The family and I are heading up to ohio to visit my in laws. My wife has an aunt that is coming from Gurnee IL for a few days as well. I am wondering if any of you native Chicagoans can suggest some local bottled favorites from the Windy city that I should consider asking to get. I and have have had Goose Island but what other quality breweries that you can get bottles of do you have over there? I appreciate the feedback. Can you get Three Floyds in bottles up there around Chicago? Thanks for the suggestions. Mike

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

I think CarlosM lives in Chicago. He might be a good one to PM to ask if he doesn't mozy on in here. IIRC there is Great Lakes Brewing in downtown. And if you have a GPS, you can check out: https://poifriend.co...ry.php?id=17960 for points of interest to load up in to your GPS and browse around the chicago area for local breweries and make a list. :cheers:

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I think CarlosM lives in Chicago. He might be a good one to PM to ask if he doesn't mozy on in here. IIRC there is Great Lakes Brewing in downtown. And if you have a GPS, you can check out: https://poifriend.co...ry.php?id=17960 for points of interest to load up in to your GPS and browse around the chicago area for local breweries and make a list. :cheers:

You mean Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland? I grew up in Cleveland and I have had GL many times and will plan to get some of theirs while I am up there. You are right about CarlosM I remember that. I know Ken is from around there too. I am not going to Chicago myself just seeing wife's aunt that is from over there. Thanks for the GPS link, can't say I have one though. I like the site though so I am going to check it out more too.

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

You mean Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland? I grew up in Cleveland and I have had GL many times and will plan to get some of theirs while I am up there. You are right about CarlosM I remember that. I know Ken is from around there too. I am not going to Chicago myself just seeing wife's aunt that is from over there. Thanks for the GPS link, can't say I have one though. I like the site though so I am going to check it out more too.

Dang, yes it was Cleveland. I was all over the place on that trip and it was a LONG time ago. :cheers:

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I am heading over to Two Brothers tonight as I happen to be close by. There is a review of it in the "reviews" forums. Looking forward to checking it out.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

I am heading over to Two Brothers tonight as I happen to be close by. There is a review of it in the "reviews" forums. Looking forward to checking it out.

That sounds awesome JJ. I have read about them. They sound like a great brewery as well. Hope you enjoy the experience.

#7 HatTrickBrew

HatTrickBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

I was going to also suggest Two Brothers. I like their Pale Ale. I've had a few of their other beers, which were pretty good. But the Pale Ale stood out to me.

#8 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Yes, we get an excellent selection of Three Floyds here. Some of their 22 oz bottles are pricey, but I've never had a bad beer from them.Another local favorite that just started bottling in the last year or two is Flossmoor Station. 22 oz bottles only I think. Their Pullman Brown Ale and IPA are both excellent.Two Brothers has been mentioned and is pretty good. I like some of their beers quite a bit, but not all of them. Their IPAs are good. Domain DuPage is good too (much better than Fat Tire IMO... similar styles). Their vintage dated Bare Tree Wheat Wine is excellent. You may have had some of the Goose Island brews, but have you had some of their Reserve Line or Brewpub Heritage brews? Look for the 22 oz bottles. Pere Jacques is an excellent Abbey Dubbel while Matilda is an homage to Orval. Again, excellent (and yes, I'm very biased since they are my local). Demolition, Red Felt, and Naughty Goose are also worth seeking out.All of these fine brews can be purchased at any Binny's or Sam's.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

If she can go to "Binny's" then have her pick up a Two Brothers Hop Juice IIPA. Very tasty! Also, Goose island released a reserve line, Matilda is very good, as is the red felt. If she can get it, have her pick up a 4 pack of Bourbon County Stout. Pretty expensive. about 22 bucks for four bottles. Best stout I've ever bought though. We also get Bell's over here. Personally, their beers are good, but I feel like they have somewhat decreased in flavor. Best of luck!Jayb151

#10 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hey JayB! I was going to mention Bourbon County Stout as well, but didn't due to the price. But I agree, it is actually my favorite stout ever, and definitely in my top 5 beers of all time.

#11 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Yes, we get an excellent selection of Three Floyds here. Some of their 22 oz bottles are pricey, but I've never had a bad beer from them.Another local favorite that just started bottling in the last year or two is Flossmoor Station. 22 oz bottles only I think. Their Pullman Brown Ale and IPA are both excellent.Two Brothers has been mentioned and is pretty good. I like some of their beers quite a bit, but not all of them. Their IPAs are good. Domain DuPage is good too (much better than Fat Tire IMO... similar styles). Their vintage dated Bare Tree Wheat Wine is excellent. You may have had some of the Goose Island brews, but have you had some of their Reserve Line or Brewpub Heritage brews? Look for the 22 oz bottles. Pere Jacques is an excellent Abbey Dubbel while Matilda is an homage to Orval. Again, excellent (and yes, I'm very biased since they are my local). Demolition, Red Felt, and Naughty Goose are also worth seeking out.All of these fine brews can be purchased at any Binny's or Sam's.

goose island reserve beers are amazing. I love going to the brewpub to see what new fancy beers they got.and everything you said is spot on.Two Brothers BrewingGoose IslandThree Floydsthose are my go to places.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:57 AM

Awesome guys. That all sounds great. I appreciate the feedback. The Goose Island beers sound great as well. I have had a few of theirs before and enjoyed. I will have to ask my aunt to see what she can pick up too. The Two Brothers sounds great. I love an IPA or an IIPA too. Are any of the newer brewers good too? Metropolitan or Half Acre Beer. I have heard and read of them both. Thanks again!!

#13 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:32 AM

I've seen Metropolitan in the stores, and just read about Half Acre. Haven't had either yet though, but plan on picking them up. Seem like their focus might be lagers.

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:13 AM

Yes it does seem to be that Metro focuses on German Lagers. Works for me. We will see how it turns out then.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

I'd like to throw out a few more from the area if they are not distibuted by you: anything from Bells now that it has returned to Illinois. Also being that Gurnee is close to Wisconsin, maybe she could slip over the border and get you some New Glarus.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'd like to throw out a few more from the area if they are not distibuted by you: anything from Bells now that it has returned to Illinois. Also being that Gurnee is close to Wisconsin, maybe she could slip over the border and get you some New Glarus.

Yes she is close to Wisconsin as well. I was wondering if NG was distributed around Chicago as well. For Bells I can actually get them down here in NC and I know they are in Ohio as well. I am going to try and talk to her tonight see what she can arrange. Should be fun. Thanks again.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

I've had metro's "Flywheel." IIRC it's an amber lager. It's well made and clean, but i just didn't care for it that much. I knew I could get more flavorful beer for the same price. Just my opinion, No one fly off the handle. Give it a shot if you're curious.JayB

#18 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

I've had metro's "Flywheel." IIRC it's an amber lager. It's well made and clean, but i just didn't care for it that much. I knew I could get more flavorful beer for the same price. Just my opinion, No one fly off the handle. Give it a shot if you're curious.JayB

Flywheel is a light lager. Dynamo is a Vienna style or amber lager with much more hop character. I really enjoy both, but Dynamo definately preferred.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

I just caught a posting on the net somewhere I think it was from one of your nightly newscasts and it highlighted metro and Half acre. They looked good. Hmm a Vienna that sounds up my alley then too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users