#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

So I have a cake of White Labs WLP550 that I just got done fermenting a Saison from one of the local microbreweries. I thought I would keep with the Belgian Theme and try and make a Sneaky sorta Belgian Blonde. One that is golden in color, hop flavored but has that nice alcohol punch that an Belgian style can have and provide for too. I think it would be nice for the hops to play a flavor role with the addition of the yeast from fermentation. Grain bill to provide a good background for this to occur. Here is the recipe that I have put together. What sorta Belgian Blonde do you think this recipe will provide. I figure to ferment this around 70-72 degrees as well. Belgian Blonde Ale Belgian Blond Ale Type: All GrainBatch Size: 5.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 11.25 lb Franco Belges Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.36 % 1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % 0.25 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1.79 % 0.75 oz First Gold [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU 1.00 oz First Gold [9.50 %] (10 min) Hops 9.4 IBU 1.00 oz First Gold [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU 1.00 oz First Gold [9.50 %] (0 min) Hops - 1.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10.71 % 1 Yeast Cake reuse Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SGEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.46 % Bitterness: 33.9 IBU Est Color: 5.8 SRM Mash Profile Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb Sparge Water: 5.48 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Step Time Name Description Step Temp 75 min Mash In Add 3.91 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

#2 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

It doesn't look bad at all. I'd up the sugar to about 13-15%, ferment at 68 degrees. You don't need a huge phenolic profile in a Blonde.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Yeasty. I will make sure I keep my fermentation temps down then for sure. I originally wanted to use Aromatic in place of the Cara but I used it up on my last Belgian and not running to LHBS for some yet either. I will do that with the sugar as well. How about a mash temp 150 148? Should have a dry finish too? Appreciate the feedback.

#4 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

I guess the easy way to do this is to make your favorite trippel or golden strong, then drop the SG to dubbel range, then drop your IBU's about 8 points.BJCP says almost lager-like (read: low yeast profile) yet also "Belgian complexity."I'd say that caramunich has a place in the recipe, but it's certainly no sub for aromatic, which would also give some nice melanoidin "complexity" to the malt profile. The way I read the "lager-like" comment, is a characterful Belgian ale strain, fermented cool so as to subdue said character.Attenuation (apparent) can be anywhere from 86% to 75% for the really big ones. You're up on top, so I wouldn't worry too much about drying it out. It'll be an obviously bigger rendition of the style. If you can get under 1.018 you'll be within style, but I'd also shoot for the higher end of IBU's at that point, which happens to be a bit less than what you have there, say 28-30 IBU. If you bump up the sugar you shuold expect at the very least 75% AA, so I wouldn't go over the recommended 30 IBU's at the most.Also, remember this is V 1.0 -- there WILL be at least two more.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

Thanks YB. Yes this is V1.0. Hmm I think I can handle brewing a few versions of this recipe as well. I do realize that Cara is not really a sub for aromatic but as long as it works then V2.0 can be with aromatic and compare as well. Thanks for the heads up on the yeast fermentation. I just used the WLP550 on this Saison we brewed at a Commercial brewery. At a steady 70-72 degress it took the Saison from 1.066 down to 1.008 so I hope I can hit 1.018 at least. Will report back. The hops yes I gotta have some in there at least so I thought I would go bigger on that as well. Appreciate it.Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users