8 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsday Brewery

Doomsday Brewery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

I have converted most of my brew stand (HLT and Mash Tun RIMS) to electric. This past weekend I filled up both with water and set a timer to come on at 6am by 8am both were at the right temp. I was wondering what the issues (taste, off flavors, etc...) might be with mashing over night or putting grain and letting the temp creap up over night and mash. That way when I get up I just need to do the 170 degree rest and sparge then boil.

#2 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

I have converted most of my brew stand (HLT and Mash Tun RIMS) to electric. This past weekend I filled up both with water and set a timer to come on at 6am by 8am both were at the right temp. I was wondering what the issues (taste, off flavors, etc...) might be with mashing over night or putting grain and letting the temp creap up over night and mash. That way when I get up I just need to do the 170 degree rest and sparge then boil.

Overnight Mashing courtesy of the_stain. I don't know much about it personally, but this might be a good start.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

If you do a single temperature mash, you can mash overnight at 150 or so. The beer will be a little more fermentable than with a one hour mash, but not by much in my experience.I would worry about slowly ramping up the temperatures to mash overnight. First, you'll be doing all sorts of rests that weren't intended (ferulic acid rest, beta glutanase rest, protein rest, etc.). Second, there are some bacteria that love warm, wet barley, so you run the risk of a sour mash. Sure, the bacteria will be killed in the boil, but overnight they may have already soured your beer.

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

If you do a single temperature mash, you can mash overnight at 150 or so. The beer will be a little more fermentable than with a one hour mash, but not by much in my experience.I would worry about slowly ramping up the temperatures to mash overnight. First, you'll be doing all sorts of rests that weren't intended (ferulic acid rest, beta glutanase rest, protein rest, etc.). Second, there are some bacteria that love warm, wet barley, so you run the risk of a sour mash. Sure, the bacteria will be killed in the boil, but overnight they may have already soured your beer.

Would this be the same kind of souring that you are looking for in a Brett beer? If so this might be beneficial to try and do this on those types of beers and lambic's, no?

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

Love the new av, badogg. :cheers:

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Love the new av, badogg. :cheers:

Yeah, it's soooo enlightening isn't it? heh :covreyes:

#7 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Would this be the same kind of souring that you are looking for in a Brett beer? If so this might be beneficial to try and do this on those types of beers and lambic's, no?

I don't think a sour mash gives the same sourness as a soured beer like a lambic or an Oud Bruin. Traditionally, those beers are mashed normally, then soured after the boil.The only beers I can think of that traditionally use a sour mash are stouts (to get that Guinness "twang") and Berliner Weisses, although I assume that there are more German styles that use a sour mash because the Germans actually make a sour malt, sauermalz.

#8 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Brettanomyces doesn't really give you sourness, unless you give it lots of O2. Then you'll get vinegar.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, it's soooo enlightening isn't it? heh :cheers:

A floor lamp - what's the big deal :covreyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users