#1 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

Would like to know where folks get their high-temp silicone tubing for use with pumps, or any alternate tubing you like. I am getting a pump in this weekend and going to do the whirlpool chilling method hopefully for the first time. B3 is out of the silicone tubing and I'd rather pick it up at a hardware store or somewhere that is likely to stock that kind of thing.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64138 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

I don't think silicone tubing is a normal stock item for many places outside of a lab supply outlet. I could be wrong though.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Would like to know where folks get their high-temp silicone tubing for use with pumps, or any alternate tubing you like. I am getting a pump in this weekend and going to do the whirlpool chilling method hopefully for the first time. B3 is out of the silicone tubing and I'd rather pick it up at a hardware store or somewhere that is likely to stock that kind of thing.

I've never found it local. Austin HB has it as most HB stores might.

#4 AiredAle

AiredAle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

I bought mine off eBay. You can also get it from McMaster-Carr online. I use 1/2" for pumping and transferring tasks, and I use 3'8" for racking, but I found I need to clamp the tubing to the racking cane because it doesn't stick to the cane as well as the regular vinyl tubing does. On the other hand, all dirt, hair and fluff within ten feet of the dry silicone tubing ends up sticking to it, go figure.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

MoreBeer ... looks to be in stockEdit: no problems with dirt or hair sticking to my silcone tubing...

Edited by chuck_d, 16 June 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#6 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

I had originally purchased mine from B3 too however found a 50 foot roll on eBay for a helluva lot less, IIRC half the price

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

I had originally purchased mine from B3 too however found a 50 foot roll on eBay for a helluva lot less, IIRC half the price

Was it the same stuff? Silcone isn't necessarily silcone, er, you know what I mean. If the same stuff is out there for half the price (don't doubt it, homebrewshop markup can be insane sometimes) then I'd like to get another source.

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Was it the same stuff? Silcone isn't necessarily silcone, er, you know what I mean. If the same stuff is out there for half the price (don't doubt it, homebrewshop markup can be insane sometimes) then I'd like to get another source.

It was Sani-Tech® STHT™-C Sanitary Silicone Tubing, 50 foot roll. I tried earlier to find it again on eBay but no luck. The wall is a bit thicker than the stuff I got from B3 too.EDIT: Now that I look a bit more (Cole Parmer site) I'm thinking maybe the stuff I got fell off a truck.

Edited by RommelMagic, 16 June 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

Local Bar / draught suppliers often have it tooYou dont list a location , so difficult to know

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'm thinking maybe the stuff I got fell off a truck.

Hehe, kind of like the speakers my roommate bought in college.

Edited by chuck_d, 16 June 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#11 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Chuck, I placed an order this morning and it was stocked out, but sure enough I look there tonight and it's back in. Arrrgh. Zulu, thanks for the prompt to update my profile - should be showing my location now. Just ordered from B3, am hoping the priority mail option will get it to me before the weekend or I'll be doing another brew without the new toys.

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Chuck, I placed an order this morning and it was stocked out, but sure enough I look there tonight and it's back in. Arrrgh. Zulu, thanks for the prompt to update my profile - should be showing my location now. Just ordered from B3, am hoping the priority mail option will get it to me before the weekend or I'll be doing another brew without the new toys.

Their site annoys me on this sometimes. I notice items going in and out of stock all the time. They'll list a date sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes the date to get it back is bs and it takes several more weeks. I still like their stuff and use them, but they either run a low stock wherehouse or have trouble updating their online inventory.

#13 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Their site annoys me on this sometimes. I notice items going in and out of stock all the time. They'll list a date sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes the date to get it back is bs and it takes several more weeks. I still like their stuff and use them, but they either run a low stock wherehouse or have trouble updating their online inventory.

I was in their warehouse recently and it's spacious and well-organized. As far as brewing supply goes it was pretty impressive. After getting the full tour there I would guess some of the stock-outs are on the supplier side.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25638 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

morebeer has some that is semi-opaque and has a thick wall.williamsbrewing.com sells some that that is light tan opaque, looks like surgery type stuff.I added some to McMaster Carr order. The stuff I ordered was pretty thin walled.I highly recommend getting the thick walled stuff. You want something that is sturdy an does not fold/bend when you get hot liquid in it.zymot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users