#1 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

I bought a bottle of this at a local beer/wine shop yesterday. I let it sit in my fridge until about 7:00 tonight. I took it out and let it come up to about (-ish) cellar temperature before popping the cork.In a word, ZOMG. This is some very flavorful beer. Quite tasty, to be honest.I poured the bottle into one of my New Belgium snifter glasses. It has a tremendous nose. Sharp without being offensive. Very distinct hints of citrus, as well as some evident floral notes, are prevalent here.Nice, deep amber tone to the liquid itself. Its the sort of color you expect to see on the walls of your mancave. Heavy reddish-orange tones that just say "This is going to be a good beer."As it leaves the bottle it begins to form a nice, tight head of foam. It took virtually forever for it to dissipate. No joke - 20 minutes after I poured it I still had about a half-inch of head in the glass. Lacing was noteworthy, too. It formed nice, thick legs that really clung to the glass.The flavor really punches you in the face, honestly. It strikes me as a cross between some of Sierra Nevada's best offerings. Think of taking Celebration Ale, blending it with the old (and no longer produced) Anniversary Ale and topping it off with their Bigfoot barleywine. That's what you have here. Dry nose coupled with a bright start in the taste and finishing in a nice dry slap to the palate.Mouthfeel is medium-to-heavy . . . almost chewy, actually. This isn't a negative comment. Honestly speaking, I think that this would be a great beer to sip whilst relaxing in front of a fireplace and reading a good book in the midst of winter. Yes, its that kind of beer. To me, at least. Certainly not a session beer by any stretch of the imagination (it is 9.2% ABV, after all)After all has been said and done, though, I'll tell you to buy it if you find it. Its great beer. One of the best I've ever had, honestly. Troof.

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Well, it IS a blend of Celebration, Pale Ale, and Bigfoot.....So, you got it mostly right! :)Glad you liked it. Buy a couple of more bottles and forget them in the back of your fridge for a year or two.MolBasser

#3 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'll have to drive up there again (the store is just over an hour from my house) and see if the owner will give me a volume discount. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users