#1 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

I was digging around in the back of my chest freezer yesterday and came upon about 6oz of homegrown Saaz hops. They were still tightly packaged. Double wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a ziplock bag. They have been in the freezer packaged like this for about 3 years. I guess they got lost back there. They still look like they are in decent shape so I am thinking of putting them to use. So, 2 questions:1. Packaged well and stored like this are they old and stale or are they likely to be in pretty good shape?2. Ideas for uses? Recipes?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

My thoughts on the quality and I was told this a long while ago but if they smell good and still are green then I think the quality should be fine. If they are browned out good then I would avoid them too. Being homegrown and not having a measured AA% I would suggest using them as late addition hops. My first thoughts would be a Bohemian Pilsner if you can do lagers or maybe a nice Belgian style of your choice Blonde, IPA, Tripel. I used Saaz in an IPA and Tripel and was pleased with them as well.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have no personal experience using aged hops, but I was reading in "Designing Great Beers" that some people will deliberately age nobel hops before using them, because of the spicy profile it gives due to certain hop components becoming oxidized.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

Lambic!!!

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Take some cones and rub them in your hands and smell them. If they smell cheesy at all, throw them in the trash.

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

I'm second Doobah here - according to one text I have you want to age hops for lambics by just putting them in a brown bag somewhere warm and dry like a closet or an attic. You could try aging them a bit more or if they already are pretty odorless maybe they're good to go for a lambic.

#7 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

I've never brewed with bugs other than yeast. Might be an experiment looming here.I was wondering about other Belgian styles. More ideas?

#8 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've never brewed with bugs other than yeast. Might be an experiment looming here.I was wondering about other Belgian styles. More ideas?

Czech Pils, Any of the Abbey Beers, Ordinary Bitter.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Is this in a real chest freezer or a dispensing "freezer". If they've been stored at <20F for 3 years, they're probably in reasonably good shape. You can use them for late additions without issue. If they smell bad, then not.

#10 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Chest freezer. I haven't opened the bags yet. I need to do that before I make any plans for them. They are still very green in color tho.I was hoping to hear someone say they will be fine for late hop additions as my first choice was to make an alt with them.An Abbey beer is a tasty idea tho.

#11 HatTrickBrew

HatTrickBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

Have you ever had Bell's Oberon? It's a nice summer wheat ale.I recently brewed a clone and used a couple of ounces of Saaz. It turned out great.

#12 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

Have you ever had Bell's Oberon? It's a nice summer wheat ale.I recently brewed a clone and used a couple of ounces of Saaz. It turned out great.

yea i just brewed one up close to that as well...hallertauer and SaazI have seen clones that use all saaz for flavor/aromaSaaz is great in wheat beers so if they are still viable this might be a nice quick turnaround brew for ya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users