8 replies to this topic

#1 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

I brewed a summer wheat on Tues, I added Irish moss late, realizing, after I had dunked my immersion in, that i had forgotten. In a flurry I added some and said a few words of encouragement to the wort. Will this grow some sort of weird... or am I worried for nothing?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

Sorry if I sound a bit confused on your posting but here is a thought:Irish Moss is a clarifer used during the boil. You said you brewed a Wheat and Wheat beers are cloudy beers. I would not use Irish moss in a beer like that to begin with honestly. I don't understand your comment about growning something weird? What do you mean. If you boiled your wort and chilled it down I doubt you will have any issues.

#3 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

You are completely fine, don't worry. After about 26 batches, I ran out of Irish moss and couldn't believe the amount of trub trying to get through my double ss screen and into my primary. Either way, it won't hurt your beer's taste, only (potentially) its clarity.

#4 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Sorry if I sound a bit confused on your posting but here is a thought:Irish Moss is a clarifer used during the boil. You said you brewed a Wheat and Wheat beers are cloudy beers. I would not use Irish moss in a beer like that to begin with honestly. I don't understand your comment about growning something weird? What do you mean. If you boiled your wort and chilled it down I doubt you will have any issues.

Actually, I totally missed that! Yes, a wheat beer is supposed to be cloudy.Also, I add Irish Moss at 15 min before flame out, about the same time I add Irish Moss....

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Actually, I totally missed that! Yes, a wheat beer is supposed to be cloudy.Also, I add Irish Moss at 15 min before flame out, about the same time I add Irish Moss....

So, when do you add your Irish Moss :)

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

So, when do you add your Irish Moss :)

at the same time as his Irish Moss! :)

#7 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

Yes the recipe was for a wheat beer, but I am using a more flocculant yeast than the recipe calls for. A little experimentation with a 15$ extract recipe. I always add the Moss out of habit but the mother and sister in-law showed up at flame-out and i got distracted, so I just threw it in as it was cooling becuase I get stoopid at midnight.

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

since its a wheat your gonna be fine since it should be cloudy...but just throwing it in at flame out won't do anything...irish moss needs to be rehydrated before it goes in the boil (at 15 min) or i have read you can put it in like at 30 min left if you do not rehydrate

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Lambics are wheat beers and they aren't cloudy... Saisons have wheat and they're not cloudy... Not all wheats are cloudy. Hefes and wits perhaps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users