10 replies to this topic

#1 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

After showing a neighbor how to brew last weekend, I cleaned my hydrometer and set it aside... then dutifully forgot about it. :nono: Two days ago, when I went down to check on things, I found the hydrometer- it was right were I left it on the floor of the basement... the crunch gave its location away :smilielol: . I've broken 3 in the past 18 months which isn't really that bad (or costly) overall, but I think it's time for me to get a refractometer to end this cycle.

#2 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

It's possible to break a refractometer (I did), but they are much sturdier. And yes, the refractometer can be used after fermentation starts. You can convert to SG, or just stick with the Brix numbers. Most homebrewers think in specific gravity, so if you post "I had a 15 OG and now it's 7.5, is my beer done?" you'll confuse people.

#3 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

You only wish you had a finity.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hydrometers are cheap until you start breaking them. Break one into your wort, now your are talking about a serious pain the neck.Refractors cost more, but are less fragile. The big plus for them is the sample required is just a few drops. I can pull out the airlock, dip in my glass pipette (easy to sanitize by the way) and get the sample I need.Unfermented wort is easy to read. Brix times 4 = OG. (very close any way)Wort that is in the process of fermentation, you can calculate current OG, if you know the original OG.You can also take a sample, measure the current gravity (as in 1.014) and measure the gravity using you refractometer and backwards calculate the unfermented Original gravity and the current gravity and ABV.If you are talking before the boil, gravity readings with a hydrometer are easy (remember to correct for temp) and you can pour the sample back into the wort. It is even easier with a refractometer.I have one and I am very happy with it. Money well spent.zymot

#5 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

You only wish you had a finity.

You know, I re-read the post and thought, "Is that even English? I'm better than that!"

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:07 AM

I think both are really great. I got a refractometer last summer and have used it with every brew since then. I like it to keep track of the gravities of my runnings and the kettle during the boil as well. I take two reading with the hydrometer during the brew day. Preboil and Postboil both cooled to 60 degrees. I dont mess with the refractometer after fermentation has begun. Morebeer.com has a spreadsheet that converts refractometer readings to specific gravity as well. It worked pretty good.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64100 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

I prefer a mass flow meter to both.

#8 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

After 5 years I am still using my original Hydrometer, but I have a good process and also leave it permanently in its plastic measuring cylinder.Once finished with it , it goes on the shelf , with opening side down so it drains cleanly.I also use a refractometer with each brew to check runnings and estimate eff and OG. But the final figures that go into records are always from the hydrometer. Both OG and FG.

#9 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11683 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

Has anyone who uses both kept track of agreement/discrepancies? I've been brewing for 6 years or so and have never even touched a hydrometer; my refractometer has more than paid for itself vs a hydrometer considering my penchant for breaking glass.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64100 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

I went through a weird stint where I broke, like, 4 hydrometers in one year, which, at the time, was almost every batch for a year. Haven't broken one before or since. Can't explain it.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

It's possible to break a refractometer (I did), but they are much sturdier.

Yes, yes it is. :)I still have my original 20 year old hydrometer but I'm on my 3rd refractometer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users