#1 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I've tossed several for scratching and minor cracking over the years but I had my first drop today. Half full from thigh level to concrete garage floor. It didn't stand a chance. I stood there for like 10 seconds making sure I had all my limbs...got away with one small cut to the foot (damn flip flops!). Fortunately it only had sanitizing solution in it. It did way more sharding/shattering than I expected. Made it easy work for the shop vac though. I'll be more careful with the next one!!

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Good to hear you turned out ok and didn't get hurt too badly. I am almost a glass only brewer. I have had friends over and went to others to brew as well. Maybe I get it from work since they stress safety but I make it a point to make sure I have shoes on no matter what time of day I am brewing just for the case you described above. Sorry you lost a Carboy but I am sure its easier to swallow given there was no beer in it as well. I had a buddy I taught to brew last year. When he did his first batch solo he filled the glass carboy thought it was too full went to pour off maybe a half gallon and he dropped it about 4 inches to the concrete garage floor and it split and glug glug glug out went the beer. Is this thread going to become a bash on the glass carboy now? Good Luck

#3 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

Is this thread going to become a bash on the glass carboy now?

Interesting you say that...I'm wondering if I should replace with plastic, but I have no experience with them.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Use what you like, but after breaking 3 carboys and losing gallons of pilsner, I went with buckets and never looked back. If they didn't make beer that's as good as the beer I make in carboys, I wouldn't use them.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Use what you like, but after breaking 3 carboys and losing gallons of pilsner, I went with buckets and never looked back. If they didn't make beer that's as good as the beer I make in carboys, I wouldn't use them.

What do you secondary in? I've been using better bottles and have been pretty happy.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

I recently purchased a better bottle for one of my primaries, and I think I am going to be getting more as it works just as good as glass and they don't break. Plus they are lighter. I used to be the glass snob, but I just don't want any injuries from glass breakage. I know a guy who's hand is all jacked up (fingers all curled up and hand is not usable) after a carboy accident. Homebrewing isn't worth losing use of a hand to me - I'll keep up with the plastic.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:10 AM

I bet home boy that got his hand messed up is still brewing. Does he use plastic? I think I'm gonna buy more buckets. Like badogg said it ain't worth losing the use of a limb, or your junk!

Yeah, he still brews. That event was just the leverage that he needed to get the wife on board for a few stainless conicals. :)

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:04 AM

Don't get me wrong all. This thread had me looking yesterday at the prices for better bottles and glass carboys. Trust even though I have a lot of glass ones. I will be getting a better bottle just cause its cheaper and works well. I just don't mind using the glass since that is mostly what I have.

#9 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:32 AM

Yeah, he still brews. That event was just the leverage that he needed to get the wife on board for a few stainless conicals. :)

I'd say it was all win then.BrewBasser

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54147 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

I've broken a 6½ gallon glass primary and a 5 gallon glass secondary. Not fun at all. I now use plastic for primary (exclusively!) but most of my secondaries are still glass and they scare the bejesus out of me. :)

#11 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

Over the years I have collected enough plastic milk crate like containers that I keep carboys in. Those and $5 furniture dolly's from Harbor Freight. I only pick up a carboy as high as i have to to put it on the wheeled dolly and away I go. The only carboy failure I have had was one that developed a vertical crack on the shoulder from age I presume as it never took a hit. I took it to the recycling plant myself.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:00 AM

I thought it was interesting last weekend when I was at the local commerical brewery for our homebrew club event. Lots of people had 5 gallon glass carboys and many many of them also had the milk crates. The crates make sense to me, it was just interesting to see so many since I believe it was stated on here and that was the first I had heard or known of that idea too.

#13 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

After my broken shoulder healed, I decided to go to plastic. I wasn't sure if the joint would lock up on me, so I figured if I was going to drop something, I would rather not have to make another ER trip.Better Bottles are also lighter and they clean up very nicely.

#14 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Oh, broke a 3 gal. while cleaning it in the tub. That was fun.

#15 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9598 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

What do you secondary in? I've been using better bottles and have been pretty happy.

I can't speek for Denny, but I primary in buckets and secondary in kegs.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

One more reason why I love glass and yes I know plastic or the better bottle works well also is that for me the most enjoyment for me is the planning, brewing and fermenting of any beers that I make. If I can't see fermentation I would not be happy so I stick with my glass but then again a better bottle would do well too. Thats ok anymore fermenters here I have 7 8 already will be plastic and you can see through that as well.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

After my broken shoulder healed, I decided to go to plastic. I wasn't sure if the joint would lock up on me, so I figured if I was going to drop something, I would rather not have to make another ER trip.Better Bottles are also lighter and they clean up very nicely.

Also, nowadays, since the Mexican factory quit making glass carboys, better bottles are cheaper than glass also, at least that I have seen locally.

Edited by miccullen, 14 June 2009 - 09:33 AM.

#18 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Also, nowadays, since the Mexican factory quit making glass carboys, better bottles are cheaper than glass also, at least that I have seen locally.

We get our carboys from Italy. Thicker glass than those I have seen from Mexico.I use a glass carboy for secondary, but use plastic for primary. I only use the carboys for lagering.

#19 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Who has a link to someplace that sells the carboy "milk crates"?

#20 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:21 AM

Who has a link to someplace that sells the carboy "milk crates"?

I believe Staples has them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users