14 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:12 AM

These are my first year cascades. Not much to look at now but they've really come a long way in the last couple weeks. Is this pretty standard for people at my latitude? I'd say these guys get full on sun from about 10:00-10:30am until 7:00pm or so.In the background you can see the grains that made it through my deck from when I flipped my barley crusher over :nono: [mod edit - image removed]

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Looks like you can grow hops up there in the northern climate. Hops look good Zym. Sounds like the sun exposure is good as well. Here are two pics I just took this morning. Mine have been in the ground for about 2 months now. It goes Nugget, Willamette, Cascade, Cascade (Left to Right) I am impressed with the speed they have grown and I think Will are slow so not worried about these. A few more feet and I am going to have to get that 16 ft fence post and move the hook up higher. Mine get the NC sun all day long, no trees here in my yard or shade other than some from the house but now where they are planted. All are first year hops. Keep em growing all!!Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

Wow - those are looking great. I think I planted mine about mid/early may so this about 1 month.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Here is the pic of my 2nd year Mt. Hood.  My first year stuff is comparable to what you guys have.  I'm not too fussed about it because the first year doesn't yield much... After seeing what it can do in the second year...Posted Image

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks. Deerslyr your hops look great as well. Wow I know I dont have Mt Hoods planted but I think for next year I will just put in the larger post and raise the hook right from the get go early spring. Especially seeing how much growth you got as well for your second year. I have another area of my yard away from the house that I think over the colder months I will sink two large posts and attach some wire to them both. I figure I can string up some hops on either side and really diversify the hop selection. Looks great guys.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Thanks. Deerslyr your hops look great as well. Wow I know I dont have Mt Hoods planted but I think for next year I will just put in the larger post and raise the hook right from the get go early spring. Especially seeing how much growth you got as well for your second year. I have another area of my yard away from the house that I think over the colder months I will sink two large posts and attach some wire to them both. I figure I can string up some hops on either side and really diversify the hop selection. Looks great guys.

I'm betting it could have run several more feet. I got lazy and it actually looped back on itself on the horizontal portion.

#7 NomNomHopzinator

NomNomHopzinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Man that topsy turvy is looking goooood :)

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

Man that topsy turvy is looking goooood :)

:)

#9 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

This is what mine are looking like my Galena are doing best and actually have hops that are ready to harvestPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

Man that topsy turvy is looking goooood :sarcasm:

Ppppppllllllllllbbbbbbbbtttttttthhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ha ha haThat's actually the third one we have and unfortunately the damn tomato plant is being stubborn and only wants to yield one tomato (this is our first year wit the topsy turvy's). We have a Roma that was doing great until this last weekend when all the leaves went yellow... I put some fertilizer in it last night to see if we can turn it around, but apparetnly the only thing I'm capable of growing is hops!

#11 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

Our update is that Nugget were harvested before the rain yesterday, about 8 lbs so far , many more cones not yet ripe.Centenials are also ready but it rained heavily today, so will have to wait till tomorrow.Would never have believed we would harvest this early

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

Our update is that Nugget were harvested before the rain yesterday, about 8 lbs so far , many more cones not yet ripe.Centenials are also ready but it rained heavily today, so will have to wait till tomorrow.Would never have believed we would harvest this early

What year are all the hops that you guys harvested. I know mine are only first year hops but I can't believe this early its time to harvest and you are just down the road from me as well. It rained like heck here as well today too.

#13 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

What year are all the hops that you guys harvested. I know mine are only first year hops but I can't believe this early its time to harvest and you are just down the road from me as well. It rained like heck here as well today too.

Second year hops are the ones we harvested yesterday. First year growth is still low with just a few burrs so farWeeds are growing like gang busters though

#14 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

I have some massive cones on my 2nd year chinook that are starting to paper up , the first pass picking will probably be in the next couple weeks. There are still many flowers developing into cones and even new flower buds forming.

#15 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

Are any of these hop plants from the free rhizomes offered by the Ag Dept last year that I read about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users