#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

Continuing the fermentation temperature control theme of the day...Morebeer has them for ~23. Is it worth it to have a sensor this close to the wort, or is it good enough to estimate that it is probably 10F warmer in the carboy compared to the air temperature around the carboy?

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

Continuing the fermentation temperature control theme of the day...Morebeer has them for ~23. Is it worth it to have a sensor this close to the wort, or is it good enough to estimate that it is probably 10F warmer in the carboy compared to the air temperature around the carboy?

I just tape my probe to the outside of the carboy then wrap some bubble wrap around that to shelter it from the air and it works great.When I ferment at 68 the thermometer in the fridge usually shows anywhere from 60-64

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

I have a temperature strip on all the carboys that I use for primary fermentation. I do as above and put the probe on the side of the carboy put some insulation around it and tape it to the fermenter. I do all my fermentations in a freezer. If the temp strip says the beer is 68 degrees then my taped probe to the Ranco is within 2 degrees of that as well. I think its pretty accurate and I am not interested in placing the probe down into the carboy and into the beer either. I wouldn't go that route but thats me. I am happy with this set up and I think the beer proves it as well. It taste good.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

I have a buddy who uses one and its what controls the freezer! Pretty slick, really. Only problem was he developed an infection in a couple of batches and traced it back to the device. Cool tool to have if you have the cash laying around. After all... for as long as lagering has been in existence, this technology has been around only relatively recently! Sometimes we forget our roots and need to pause and reflect on how much easier we have it than say even 100 years ago!

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Not that $23 is a crazy price, but it's kinda steep for a piece of SS tubing.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

I also just tape on the probe to the glass of conical and cover with bubble wrap/insulation and have had no issues. If you want to provide your own stopper here is an alternative https://www.stirplat...ellStraight.htm. I have not bought from them so I cannot comment on the quality. I have been thinking of picking one of these up to use with my conical.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

I also just tape on the probe to the glass of conical and cover with bubble wrap/insulation and have had no issues. If you want to provide your own stopper here is an alternative https://www.stirplat...ellStraight.htm. I have not bought from them so I cannot comment on the quality. I have been thinking of picking one of these up to use with my conical.

$15 plus shipping would not be bad if you had everything else in place. My buddy traced the infection in his beers back to the rough edged crimping... so yes it does happen.

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

$15 plus shipping would not be bad if you had everything else in place. My buddy traced the infection in his beers back to the rough edged crimping... so yes it does happen.

How'd he do that? CSI?

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

How'd he do that? CSI?

Something like that... ruled everything else out... did another batch with the thermowell... got an infection and then on very close inspection found the root of the problem. Got it cleaned up nice and good and has not had a problem with it since. I think as part of the "investigation" he even replaced his tubing.

#10 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11681 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm also in the tape and insulation camp. I find it nearly impossible to believe the thermal gradient through the wall of my fermenter even approaches the gradient through a few layers of insulation. The infection thing would be easy to get rid of if you just pull out the temp probe from the well and hit the stainless for a few seconds with a blow torch.

#11 George

George

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOZ Land

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

The other thing to consider when cycling a freezer compressor to maintain temp, is to keep the control probe near the freezer wall . The cooling temp runs about 10F, the lag time before the temp inside the carboy comes down a degree or so, will get the air temp on the ouside of the carboy way below giving wild cycles.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

I'm also in the tape and insulation camp. I find it nearly impossible to believe the thermal gradient through the wall of my fermenter even approaches the gradient through a few layers of insulation. The infection thing would be easy to get rid of if you just pull out the temp probe from the well and hit the stainless for a few seconds with a blow torch.

Very true. During vigorous fermentation the temperature gradient within the carboy is likely nil due to the churning. Taking the temp at the wall should be just fine as long as the sensor is protected from the ambient air.

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

I just finished up a yeast pitch onto a Bavarian Hefeweizen and I did my normal probe taped to the side of the fermenter. I wrapped the back of the probe with a double layer of insulation and the Ranco said 65 degrees and the temp strip on the carboy says 65 degrees. Should be spot on as I wait for fermentation to begin.

#14 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

I use one for all of my fermentations. I think it's worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users