#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

I was just browsing Gander Mountain for coolers and I saw the MaxCold 70-Qt. Cooler. According to the details the dimensions are 23.47"H x 20.26"W x 18.62"D. 23" will hold a 6.5 gallon carboy without any modifications. Anyone else have this cooler and use it for this purpose? Is it too good to be true?For this price it seems like a no brainer if it fits without any modification.

#2 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

I was just browsing Gander Mountain for coolers and I saw the MaxCold 70-Qt. Cooler. According to the details the dimensions are 23.47"H x 20.26"W x 18.62"D. 23" will hold a 6.5 gallon carboy without any modifications. Anyone else have this cooler and use it for this purpose? Is it too good to be true?For this price it seems like a no brainer if it fits without any modification.

I don't have a carboy in front of me so I don't know the measurements, but I would think the 18.62" would be the limiting factor. I'm assuming the dimensions are outside dimensions; a carboy may not fit in the interior.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64099 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

I think the carboys are only 12 or 13" in diameter. Maybe even 11", actually.

#4 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

6.5 gals are 11" diameter. They will fit no problem on that front.

#5 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

You're right...18" is pretty darn big. Even with 2" insulation (complete speculation) it would still leave 14". There's a review on the site from someone who uses it as a mash tun as well, and another who made a kegerator out of it. I'm thinking I might have to go and get a couple of these myself!

#6 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

You're right...18" is pretty darn big. Even with 2" insulation (complete speculation) it would still leave 14". There's a review on the site from someone who uses it as a mash tun as well, and another who made a kegerator out of it.

Yeah, the reviews of it for beer related activities are really good, and the one guy describes how the lid bubbles up to get the extra capacity. This is why I'm thinking I can use it as is. I was hoping someone had already realized this though and had some experience.

#7 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Are you talking about the Igloo Ice Cube MaxCold?https://www.gandermo...m/401277_M1.jpgI use this, and it will not fit a 6.5 gallon carboy without drilling a hole in the lid. The bottom of the cooler has a lip that prevents the carboy from laying flat in the cooler. Otherwise it would fit.So far I have been happy with it. The handle and wheels save my back.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Actually, a 60 qt will easily hold a 6.5 gallon carboy in it, you don't need a 70. Same deal of course, you need to remove or modify the lid.

#9 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

I forget who posted in the past, but it was a standard ice cube, likely to be a 60qt and they drilled a hole in the top of the lid for the carboy neck to fit through. Seemed they were having great luck...im sure that pic will show up soon.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

I forget who posted in the past, but it was a standard ice cube, likely to be a 60qt and they drilled a hole in the top of the lid for the carboy neck to fit through. Seemed they were having great luck...im sure that pic will show up soon.

I know the pic you are referring too. I think it was at "The other place". It was a great application of it actually, airlock poking out the top and a probe thermometer showing the temp inside the cooler. :cheers:

Edited by badogg, 10 June 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#11 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

I know the pic you are referring too. I think it was at "The other place". It was a great application of it actually, airlock poking out the top and a probe thermometer showing the temp inside the cooler. :cheers:

Yeah, I've seen the picture as well. I thought I could getaway without modding the lid on the bigger model though. Why don't they think of home brewers when they are designing their temperature control products? Why?

#12 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Are you talking about the Igloo Ice Cube MaxCold?https://www.gandermo...m/401277_M1.jpgI use this, and it will not fit a 6.5 gallon carboy without drilling a hole in the lid. The bottom of the cooler has a lip that prevents the carboy from laying flat in the cooler. Otherwise it would fit.So far I have been happy with it. The handle and wheels save my back.

This is what I was looking for! Thanks for the update. That sucks that it doesn't fit without a mod. Not too much, but a little.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I've seen the picture as well. I thought I could getaway without modding the lid on the bigger model though. Why don't they think of home brewers when they are designing their temperature control products? Why?

Sounds like a good business opportunity. :cheers:

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Don't forget the airlock!!!!

#15 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Sounds like a good business opportunity. :devil:

Yeah, a large cooler with a couple 12V fans on a panel in the inside, and a sweet LCD control panel to set the temperature. Also, have 1.1" diameter pop open port on the top for blow off tube users.$75 who wants one?The dual carboy model is $105.provide your own ice.

#16 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:31 AM

Thinking you are referring to this fermentation cooler. ;) The FAQ page for it was on the greenboard, but I think they were going to add to this site as well.

#17 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

you don't need to mod the domed lid if you just use a blowoff tub into a jug floating inside the cooler instead of the airlock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users