#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

I was on another forum and this guy was pissed because he found out the website he ordered from was an F rating. He finally got his stuff after waiting over 2 weeks, and posted a pic of his equipt. His regulator has a big white turn knob on it. He said it was an optional upgrade when he ordered. I went to the site and couldnt find it stand alone, and couldnt even find it as an option under the regulators. So am I missing the boat here? I have never seen something like this offered anywhere else, and want to incorporate something easy and permanent to my regulators. I now use a washer I keep inside the fridge. I remember a post a couple years ago on the old board of people showing off their DIY knobs, anyone care to share their solutions?

#2 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

https://www.micromat...rs-pid-641.htmlClick the replacement parts tab and you can buy all the components for the knob.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:48 AM

I was on another forum and this guy was pissed because he found out the website he ordered from was an F rating. He finally got his stuff after waiting over 2 weeks, and posted a pic of his equipt. His regulator has a big white turn knob on it. He said it was an optional upgrade when he ordered. I went to the site and couldnt find it stand alone, and couldnt even find it as an option under the regulators. So am I missing the boat here? I have never seen something like this offered anywhere else, and want to incorporate something easy and permanent to my regulators. I now use a washer I keep inside the fridge. I remember a post a couple years ago on the old board of people showing off their DIY knobs, anyone care to share their solutions?

I'd also be interested in this. I asked it on the other board and I don't think anyone provided me with a satisfactory answer...

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

I believe one response I got was to epoxy a penny into the slot.Functional, not elegant and technically illegal.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

I believe one response I got was to epoxy a penny into the slot.Functional, not elegant and technically illegal.

There are laws regarding the regulators?

#6 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

Just drill a 1/8 hole into the screw and put a nail into it for an easy to turn handle

#7 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

I just found the same sized thread pattern in a bolt and screwed it in. Its not a knob, but the large hex head turns easier than the slot bolt.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

https://www.micromat...rs-pid-641.htmlClick the replacement parts tab and you can buy all the components for the knob.

Thanks for the link DE. However it looks like that part is integrated with the whole bonnet, meaning I would have to take my regulator apart to use it, which I am trying to avoid doing if possible. Now I also remember people asking if it is bad to remove the adjusting screw all together, and I cant remember if it is good or bad to do. Blktre, obviously you did this, but is there a need to protect from flying springs or hard to replace gaskets or anything?

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Couldn't you just JB Weld or Gorilla Glue whatever you want on to the end of it and call it a day?

#10 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Couldn't you just JB Weld or Gorilla Glue whatever you want on to the end of it and call it a day?

I tried that but it eventually came undone, so drilled it out and added the nail which i cut to fit

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Knobs

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Knobs

Thanks for the link! I was half expecting to wind up at the Hooter's swimsuit page though...So something like this https://www.mcmaster...d-knobs/=29bb1d looks like it should work, the question now is does anyone know the thread size for a standard regulator screw?

#13 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the link! I was half expecting to wind up at the Hooter's swimsuit page though...So something like this https://www.mcmaster...d-knobs/=29bb1d looks like it should work, the question now is does anyone know the thread size for a standard regulator screw?

No, but get the one that looks like you are opening a bank vault.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Link doesn't work. Link to McMaster like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#[Part Number]

#15 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Now I also remember people asking if it is bad to remove the adjusting screw all together, and I cant remember if it is good or bad to do. Blktre, obviously you did this, but is there a need to protect from flying springs or hard to replace gaskets or anything?

It will not harm the regulator to remove the screw all the way, it just releases pressure on the diaphragm inside. The only problem is some regulators I've seen have the threads bungled inside so that you can't remove the screw all the way. It backs out so far, then won't come out any more, and forcing it may strip the threads in the housing. If you can get the screw all the way out, then you can do what blktre suggested.

#16 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Just drill a 1/8 hole into the screw and put a nail into it for an easy to turn handle

I did that but ran a keychain split ring through it instead of a nail. works well.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

There are laws regarding the regulators?

No, but there are ones about defacing American currency.I doubt the "Penny Police" will show up to harass you though.If they do, then you can give them your two cents.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

No, but there are ones about defacing American currency.I doubt the "Penny Police" will show up to harass you though.If they do, then you can give them your two cents.

You just blew my mind :devil:

#19 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

There are a lot of misconceptions regarding this. Souvenir penny smashing machines are legal, so JB Welding a coin to your regulator would also be fine. With coins, what makes it legal vs. illegal is if you try to pass off the modified coin to commit fraud:https://www.law.corn...31----000-.htmlWith paper currency, the law is a little bit murkier. Defacement is illegal if it is done "with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued." This murky area allows people some wiggle room when they participate in bill tracking sites such as wheresgeorge.com.https://www.bep.treas.gov/document.cfm/18/104

#20 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

You mean I might have committed a federal crime when I melted that dime with my torch the other day, while I was waiting for my strike water to boil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users