11 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Would this work? Would it be garbage? Is using bread yeast a bad idea? I would think it would be alright since the bread yeast is just carbonating and not doing any serious fermentation.https://www.foodnetw...cipe/index.htmlNote: mods feel free to move this if it's the wrong forum :cheers:

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Would this work? Would it be garbage? Is using bread yeast a bad idea? I would think it would be alright since the bread yeast is just carbonating and not doing any serious fermentation.https://www.foodnetw...cipe/index.htmlNote: mods feel free to move this if it's the wrong forum :devil:

No comments? Come on!!

#3 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Would it work? Yes, if by that you mean would it bottle condition from the fermentation provided by the bread yeast.Would it taste like garbage? No, but I don't know how good it might or might not be, since I haven't tried anything like it. I have made some pretty good root beers though, using bread yeast, with no ill effects.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:38 AM

Would it work? Yes, if by that you mean would it bottle condition from the fermentation provided by the bread yeast.Would it taste like garbage? No, but I don't know how good it might or might not be, since I haven't tried anything like it. I have made some pretty good root beers though, using bread yeast, with no ill effects.

I was mostly concerned about the yeast - thanks for the info.

#5 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

I've made it before once using the strained simple syrup method as mentioned in the recipe and once just adding everything to the bottle. Both were unique and fun experiments but by no means is it anything to write home about.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

I've made it before once using the strained simple syrup method as mentioned in the recipe and once just adding everything to the bottle. Both were unique and fun experiments but by no means is it anything to write home about.

I just happen to have some fresh ginger at home not really doing anything so I figured this might be an interesting use for it.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

So instead of the recommended 48 hours of fermentation I went instead with less than 36 hours b/c that bottle was getting hard. I keep trying to open it but it keeps foaming up! I guess I made the environment too healthy for the little yeasties...

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

So instead of the recommended 48 hours of fermentation I went instead with less than 36 hours b/c that bottle was getting hard. I keep trying to open it but it keeps foaming up! I guess I made the environment too healthy for the little yeasties...

This is some weird stuff - not bad though...

#9 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

Yea you need to open the bottle very slowly and let all the co2 escape otherwise you will have an explosion. The final product is tasty in a very unique way. Not something I could drink more than 1 glass of at a time though. I added an oz. of gin to a glass once. and it was much better.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

Yea you need to open the bottle very slowly and let all the co2 escape otherwise you will have an explosion. The final product is tasty in a very unique way. Not something I could drink more than 1 glass of at a time though. I added an oz. of gin to a glass once. and it was much better.

Yeah - one small glass is all I can handle. What kind of ginger did you use? I bought some of the most common variety that you can get at the grocery store but I'm guessing some younger variety might be better. I find the kind that I used a little too pungent or something.

#11 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Just the standard stuff you get at a grocery store. I love ginger so I didn't find it overpowering at all....just...unique.

#12 Eric Kerin

Eric Kerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeminole, FL

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

This is one of the staple recipes at my house, I make it in 3 gallon batches, but I use a corny keg and CO2 tank to carbonate. One thing I do to kick up the ginger flavor: Once you've steeped the ginger, Use a blender (a stick blender makes this much easier) to liquify everything, then strain the ginger/sugar mixture using a sieve as called for in the recipe.The resulting kick will be much stronger, and most tasters agreed the stronger version was WAY better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users