#21 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

OK, here's the polished version of my recipe:For 5.5 gallons:Briess two-row 9.5 lbs. 95% Cara Pils 0.5 lbs. 5%Anticipated beer SRM = 3.3Infusion mash, sach. rest @ 149 F for 60 min.Water adjusted per Palmer's spreadsheet, adding sulfates to my soft water for more hop crispnessExtract efficiency: 70%Collect 7 gallons @ SG = 1.038Average BG = 1.042Target OG = 1.048, 5.5 gallonsGerman Tettnanger Pellets 2.0 oz. 3.4% AA 60 min. boil 25.3 IBUsGerman Tettnanger Pellets 1.0 oz. 3.4% AA 40 min. boil 8.7 IBUsGerman Tettnanger Pellets 1.0 oz. 3.4% AA 10 min. boil 4.6 IBUsGerman Tettnanger Pellets 1.0 oz. 3.4% AA 0 min. boil 0 IBUsTotal IBUs = 38.6BU:GU = 0.80White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast, 1.0 gallon starter, decant and pitch slurryFerment @ 50 FAnticipated attenuation = 77%Target FG = 1.011Based on what everyone has said, it seems like this will get me closer to style, given the ingredients I have on hand. I plan to brew it next weekend, unless I find myself somehow getting home early from work one day during the week, it which case I'll brew it then.Thanks again for everyone's help.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

I love it. Good luck on the recipe... hope it comes out good.

#23 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

Looks fabulous. I would add calcium chloride rather than calcium sulfate for this style.How long does it take to boil off 1.5g in GA? The color formation of a longer boil won't hurt a bit.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

I have done something along the lines of a Pilsner Urquell with something like 8-9 lbs of pilsner and as much as 2 pounds of Vienna or Munich in there. The combination is great and provides an excellent malty base for this beer and I use A LOT of Munich and Vienna in my brewery. The carafoam is great too because it will help with head stability. I don't think you need to worry about the decoction unless you want to experience it. I also think that the Tettnangers would be great and if you have a pound of them, Giddy up. I have no problem with the other hops mentioned, but if you want it more on the authentic side, personally I don't think the German Biermeisters would use Magnum. I'm sure they would be excellent because they have clean bitterness and no one might be able to tell the difference because there were flavor & aroma hops on top of them.

I thought Magnum was bred for this very purpose?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

I thought Magnum was bred for this very purpose?

Well, if it was... I haven't heard of it. That doesn't mean anything, of course. But in any recipes I have seen have always called for something "noble" in the hop department or they were considered "out of the ordinary". In Daniel's book, there are examples of things like pilsners made with this or that and then this one was made with Cascade (and called out for it)... Or the grain bill had pilsner malt, maybe some light crystal or carahell or carafoam but then that one over there used some Aromatic and a pinch of chocolate malt. Was Magnum grown specifically to be used by American breweries as a bittering hop for American-style lagers?

* shrugs *

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

Well, if it was... I haven't heard of it. That doesn't mean anything, of course. But in any recipes I have seen have always called for something "noble" in the hop department or they were considered "out of the ordinary". In Daniel's book, there are examples of things like pilsners made with this or that and then this one was made with Cascade (and called out for it)... Or the grain bill had pilsner malt, maybe some light crystal or carahell or carafoam but then that one over there used some Aromatic and a pinch of chocolate malt. Was Magnum grown specifically to be used by American breweries as a bittering hop for American-style lagers?

* shrugs *

It was developed in Germany as a Super Alpha version of hallertauer, by the Hull breeding program to my knowledge.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Looking at Daniel's book now...

The German Pilsner grain bill section shows a combination of any of these... pilsner malt, 2-row, pils + 2-row, Carapils, Crystal, Vienna, Wheat.
The Bohemian Pilsner grain bill... Pilsner malt, 2-row, pils + 2-row, Carapils, crystal.
The German Pilsner hop department... Saaz, Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, Hallertau, Perle, Mt. Hood, Chinook, Spalt, Styrian Goldings.
The Bohemian Pilsner hop department... Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnanger, N. Brewer, Centennial, Mt. Hood, Willamette.

These are just NHC beers so take it for what it's worth, but I do not see Magnum which is why I'm surprised. I just looked at a bunch of my catalogs (Williams, Midwest, MoreBeer) and they say that Magnum is good for English styles like IPA and resembles a strong Willamette. They also say that Magnum is good for strong American ales. I see that the hop originated in Germany, but most of the Magnums homebrewers would get are grown in the US and are not the same variety... ours are derived from Galena. I guess I should just try some and see how they work in a beer like this. Everything I see does suggest that the hop has clean and smooth bitterness which sounds good to me.

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

The German Pilsner grain bill section shows a combination of any of these... pilsner malt, 2-row, pils + 2-row, Carapils, Crystal, Vienna, Wheat.
The Bohemian Pilsner grain bill... Pilsner malt, 2-row, pils + 2-row, Carapils, crystal.
The German Pilsner hop department... Saaz, Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, Hallertau, Perle, Mt. Hood, Chinook, Spalt, Styrian Goldings.
The Bohemian Pilsner hop department... Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnanger, N. Brewer, Centennial, Mt. Hood, Willamette.

These are just NHC beers so take it for what it's worth, but I do not see Magnum which is why I'm surprised. I just looked at a bunch of my catalogs (Williams, Midwest, MoreBeer) and they say that Magnum is good for English styles like IPA and resembles a strong Willamette. They also say that Magnum is good for strong American ales. I see that the hop originated in Germany, but most of the Magnums homebrewers would get are grown in the US and are not the same variety... ours are derived from Galena. I guess I should just try some and see how they work in a beer like this. Everything I see does suggest that the hop has clean and smooth bitterness which sounds good to me.

It's cool man, I was referring to the German type, my fault. The US version I wouldn't use as a Pilsner Hop.

Personally I just did a Pils 2 weeks ago, with Pils Malt, a touch of Carapils, Hallertauer Mitelfruh hops, and s-189 yeast, goiing into lagering phase it already tasted delicious.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

It's cool man, I was referring to the German type, my fault. The US version I wouldn't use as a Pilsner Hop. Personally I just did a Pils 2 weeks ago, with Pils Malt, a touch of Carapils, Hallertauer Mitelfruh hops, and s-189 yeast, goiing into lagering phase it already tasted delicious.

That sounds nice. The Hallertau Mittelfruh is great and I have used them in a few beers this year. When it comes down to it, I try not to differentiate between 'ale' hops and 'lager' hops or whatever. I'm sure that I could sample a killer German Pils made with Magnum and find it heavenly. Cheers!

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

That sounds nice. The Hallertau Mittelfruh is great and I have used them in a few beers this year. When it comes down to it, I try not to differentiate between 'ale' hops and 'lager' hops or whatever. I'm sure that I could sample a killer German Pils made with Magnum and find it heavenly. Cheers!

right on , I love hops

#31 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

Those recipes are from '93 and 94. When did Magnum become available? Like 2000 or so, right?

#32 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I see that the hop originated in Germany, but most of the Magnums homebrewers would get are grown in the US and are not the same variety... ours are derived from Galena.

?? Source, please. Everything I've seen is that they're simply German Magnum grown in the NW. Galena comes from Brewers Gold; can't see how that could possibly turn into US Magnum.

#33 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

According to the Hop Union Data Guide Book thingamagiggy, US Magnum is the same plant as GR Magnum...but I would like to know more!

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

According to the Hop Union Data Guide Book thingamagiggy, US Magnum is the same plant as GR Magnum...but I would like to know more!

Yeah, that's what I have read also, I think the only difference is growing conditions, if you've been to Yakima, you know that it get hotter than the blazes of hell in the summer there.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:56 AM

I found that here. But they are talking about "Magnum" and then also "Yakima Magnum". Are those terms used interchangeably? The site shows that Magnum originated and was bred in Germany but shows that hops with the "Yakima Magmun moniker" are derived from Galena. I have always found that hops grown outside of their originating countries seem to be just fine... like US Kents seem just fine for an English Ale or US Tettnanger works just fine for a Pils, etc. But calling a hops Yakima Magnum and having it come from Galena could be confusing if you don't know what you're using. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users