#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:47 AM

Waiting for my stove to boil 6.5 gallons of wort is like watching paint dry. On top of that, I don't think that I am getting a vigorous enough boil. I like brewing in my apartment, and being on the third floor I can't exactly have a propane burner on my porch.Enter electric brewing. I found heating elements at Northern Brewer: https://www.northern...om/burners.html but that is about as far as I've gotten.First, does this element have enough wattage to bring 6.5 gals of wort to a boil in a reasonable time (less than 45 minutes)?Second, do I need to modify my kettle in any way to utilize this? It looks like I can't just hook it on to the side wall.

#2 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

Do you have 20A circuits in your kitchen? Most modern kitchens have 20A. If you don't know, check your panel. If you do, you could use the electric heater from NB in addition to your stove and get to your boil faster and get a more vigorous boil.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

Pretty pricey but it looks like it would work if used in addition to your stove. It does require a 20 amp circuit, so I would be certain that's available before buying it. It would probably overheat a 15 amp outlet and pop the breaker. I think it just hangs on the side of the kettle.If I was stuck with this situation I would probably try to supplement stove heat with one of these instead. Only 1000 watts but it would run on a typical 15 amp circuit.link doesn't work, google "allied precision bucket heater"

Edited by dj in kc, 09 June 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#4 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

I have several 20A circuits in the kitchen, so powering it isn't a problem.

#5 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Pretty pricey but it looks like it would work if used in addition to your stove. It does require a 20 amp circuit, so I would be certain that's available before buying it. It would probably overheat a 15 amp outlet and pop the breaker. I think it just hangs on the side of the kettle.If I was stuck with this situation I would probably try to supplement stove heat with one of these instead. Only 1000 watts but it would run on a typical 15 amp circuit.link doesn't work, google "allied precision bucket heater"

DJ I'm assuming that since you are suggesting that I augment my stove top set up with this electric element that there is some type of additive effect going on that would help bring the wort to a boil more quickly and also help make a more vigorous boil. From my best estimates right now, based on what my burners are rated for, I'm hitting the BK with somewhere between 15K-18.7K BTUs. I'm getting this figure by adding 1 burner on high and another burner at about 5/7ths capacity. If I add the 2200W element, again assuming this is additive then I will be hitting the wort with another 7500BTUs bumping me up to the 22.5K-26.2K range.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

DJ I'm assuming that since you are suggesting that I augment my stove top set up with this electric element that there is some type of additive effect going on that would help bring the wort to a boil more quickly and also help make a more vigorous boil.......

Well, it's more heat so it should - haven't tried it myself though.

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

Waiting for my stove to boil 6.5 gallons of wort is like watching paint dry. On top of that, I don't think that I am getting a vigorous enough boil. I like brewing in my apartment, and being on the third floor I can't exactly have a propane burner on my porch.Enter electric brewing. I found heating elements at Northern Brewer: https://www.northern...om/burners.html but that is about as far as I've gotten.First, does this element have enough wattage to bring 6.5 gals of wort to a boil in a reasonable time (less than 45 minutes)?Second, do I need to modify my kettle in any way to utilize this? It looks like I can't just hook it on to the side wall.

I brew in an apartment too. I have no problems using my propane setup on the back porch. But i have begun to heat my strike and sparge water on the stove in two separate pots...its way faster than trying to heat 6 gals on the turkey fryer. Then i just use the fryer for the boil. Ive been wondering how the electric turkey fryer using guys are doing..... ive been thinking about it. If the walmart one were only a little bit bigger.....

#8 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11688 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

A plug, an 8' length of 12ga wire, a fitting, and a 3000W low density element. Unplug your stove and plug in your kettle. I'd add a switch of some type, but I'm frivolous like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users