#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

So I have the pleasure of having some awesome CA craft brews.What is out there that is good?I know SNBC is out there and Rogue? and Russian River and 21st amendment? What beers do you reccomend me getting?try to keep it under 6 beers?She lives in Santa Barbara CA to better get an Idea of distribution in the area.

#2 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

This thread is all WIN. Good stuff. :)

Green Flash IPA or Hop Head Red!

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Anything from Stone Brewing. but if this is an opportunity for Russian River, take it. All of their stuff is outstanding. :)Oh yeah, Bear Republic, they have epic brews also.

Edited by badogg, 08 June 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#4 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

Besides those already mentioned, look for Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, The Bruery, and Alesmith. I second RR, anything from them is outstanding. I was just in Colorado and came back with a ton of Lost Abbey, Port, and The Bruery. Would kill for some Alesmith Speedway Stout.

#5 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Besides those already mentioned, look for Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, The Bruery, and Alesmith. I second RR, anything from them is outstanding. I was just in Colorado and came back with a ton of Lost Abbey, Port, and The Bruery. Would kill for some Alesmith Speedway Stout.

+1 on Lost Abbey

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

I lived in SD for a few years. I feel like Stone is easier to find around the country than many other stellar breweries in the area. My favorite is Pizza Port (a.k.a Port Brewing). When I was out there they were starting to bottle. Man, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, it would probably be Pizza Port Shark Bite Red. It's the perfect beer for the rest of your life. They only just recently were able to get distribution outside of the SD area, but I only saw two beers in bombers in NY, for a very short period. The Hop 15, when that first was made, before it took 2nd at GABF in the IIPA category, I picked up a growler of it at Port Solana. I actually wrote a thread on the old board about that beer when I first had, and was going to link, but it looks like it's been deleted, dang. Okay, so those two Port beers I recommend. I say avoid Ale Smith, they routinely disappoint me, but I do know that other people whose opinions I respect like them. I just seem to always get bombers with carbonation problems. Um... Karl Strauss recently discontinued one of my favorite beers of theirs, Stargazer IPA. SD is the land of IPAs, and this was one of the few English examples. I like Green Flash, close association with Rogue, but Rogue is a Oregon brewery, not a CA brewery. I rather liked their brown ale and west coast IPA.Seriously, I can't say enough about Pizza Port. Shark Bite Red (they have an imperial version but it just made me want the real thing) and The Hop 15.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

North Coast Brewery 2009 Old Stock Ale (hands down one of the finest beers I have tasted)

#8 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

+1 for Lost Abbey and Russian River.

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

If they are available, two Russian River brews that I would highly suggest are Consecration, and Damnation 23. They are both amazing.

#10 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

The Hop 15, when that first was made, before it took 2nd at GABF in the IIPA category, I picked up a growler of it at Port Solana. brown ale and west coast IPA.Seriously, I can't say enough about Pizza Port. Shark Bite Red (they have an imperial version but it just made me want the real thing) and The Hop 15.

I'll vote RR, cause I cant get them here either and am dying to try them from reviews, and the likes of these threads. Chuck, is the Hop 15 supposed to be like a real ale IIPA? My buddy got a bottle sunday, popped it while we were watching the game, and it was flat flat. I drank it because I didnt want it wasted, but it was cloudy and flat (tasty though!)

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

I'll vote RR, cause I cant get them here either and am dying to try them from reviews, and the likes of these threads. Chuck, is the Hop 15 supposed to be like a real ale IIPA? My buddy got a bottle sunday, popped it while we were watching the game, and it was flat flat. I drank it because I didnt want it wasted, but it was cloudy and flat (tasty though!)

You pay for it and I'll get them and ship them to you. I'm 15 minutes from the brewpub. :)

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

Chuck, is the Hop 15 supposed to be like a real ale IIPA? My buddy got a bottle sunday, popped it while we were watching the game, and it was flat flat. I drank it because I didnt want it wasted, but it was cloudy and flat (tasty though!)

Weird, no, it's a regular IIPA. Definitely carbonation in it when I got it from Port Solana and when I picked up bombers here in the LES. I would say that it is not strongly carbonated, on the low side, 2 volumes max, so sort of remeniscent of real ale, but I don't think it should be flat. There should be some head and a nice lacing on the glass. The cloudiness is definitely there, it's like a cloudy pale orange color. The bombers had a fair amount of sediment in them, which of course I didn't get when having a growler filled off the tap at the brewery.

Edited by chuck_d, 09 June 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

You pay for it and I'll get them and ship them to you. I'm 15 minutes from the brewpub. :)

Thanks! I'll PM now

#14 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

i've heard alot about Russian River, Pliny the Elder seems to get most of the chatter. never had a chance to try one, but i have had a few of the pisgah brews in asheville a few weeks ago. vortex and a few of their other offerings. really excellent stuff.

#15 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11687 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

Weird, no, it's a regular IIPA. Definitely carbonation in it when I got it from Port Solana and when I picked up bombers here in the LES. I would say that it is not strongly carbonated, on the low side, 2 volumes max, so sort of remeniscent of real ale, but I don't think it should be flat. There should be some head and a nice lacing on the glass. The cloudiness is definitely there, it's like a cloudy pale orange color. The bombers had a fair amount of sediment in them, which of course I didn't get when having a growler filled off the tap at the brewery.

They are having all sorts of quality control issues as of late. You can read about them on beer advocate, but be prepared for some epic threads.Oh yeah, I had a good bottle of hop15 and it was really good. I think the closest beer I've ever had to it, believe it or not, was the IIPA in the most recent Sam Adams longshot 6-pack. Give me (fresh) hopslam any day, though.

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

They are having all sorts of quality control issues as of late. You can read about them on beer advocate, but be prepared for some epic threads.Oh yeah, I had a good bottle of hop15 and it was really good. I think the closest beer I've ever had to it, believe it or not, was the IIPA in the most recent Sam Adams longshot 6-pack. Give me (fresh) hopslam any day, though.

That sucks. They were only just starting to bottle when I was out in SD. I remember when Shark Bite first showed up in sixers at the 7-11 down the street from me and I was ecstatic. They were really just a handful of pizza brewpubs on the beaches in north county when I lived there but were definitely growing. Each spot brewed, which I thought was awesome, but I can see how it can lead to spotty issues from time to time. It's sad to hear they are having issues. I think I will go see if I can find the scoop on the beer advocate forums.

#17 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

I love Russian River products but they're not as easy to get in some places as one might think. I live about 60 miles north of Santa Barbara and Pliny the Elder is a rare find. Pizza Port down in San Diego has a fantastic group of beers but will not be seen up our way. Stone can be found everywhere now, but, otherwise, if it's not at BevMo nor a SoCal or NorCal brew you're stuck for nation wide recognizable craft brew. The best local would be Firestone Walker with a variety of good stouts, porter, English ales and now a hoppy thing called Union Jack. Santa Barbara Brewing Company has good beers they once put into growlers. I hope your girlfriend has better eyes than I do...for places that distribute the beers you seek.

#18 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

I love Russian River products but they're not as easy to get in some places as one might think. I live about 60 miles north of Santa Barbara and Pliny the Elder is a rare find. Pizza Port down in San Diego has a fantastic group of beers but will not be seen up our way. Stone can be found everywhere now, but, otherwise, if it's not at BevMo nor a SoCal or NorCal brew you're stuck for nation wide recognizable craft brew. The best local would be Firestone Walker with a variety of good stouts, porter, English ales and now a hoppy thing called Union Jack. Santa Barbara Brewing Company has good beers they once put into growlers. I hope your girlfriend has better eyes than I do...for places that distribute the beers you seek.

Just click on your area for a list of places to get Russian River: https://russianriver...unts/index.html It's distributed by Stone so I'm sure you could find out from them too. :cheers:

Edited by badogg, 09 June 2009 - 07:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users