#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

So I've aquired some new equipment for my brewery recently which has caused me to constantly think about how to best utilize the equipment I have. So I thought it would a good idea to see what others might suggest. Here is the equipment I got:2 15.5 gallon keggles2 Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Coolers1 70Qt SS stockpotWhat I have been doing is mashing/lautering in one of the coolers, and the other is my HLT, sparging into one keggle for my boil. Been using the 70qt stockpot to heat the strike water and sparge water. I just got the second keggle, so I've been thinking that I can use that to make better beer or more beer. I was thinking that I could either a) use it as a new mash tun to direct heat the mash for different steps, or :) use it as another boil kettle, use my 70qt for my hlt and mash two different brews at the same time (like 20 minutes apart or something). Then there is c) to just continue with what I am doing until I get my hands on another keggle and build a sculpture of some sort.So, WWBBD (What Would Brew-Bros Do)?

#2 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10827 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

70 qt stock pot as the HLT. You can get "most" of your water in there for a 10- gallon batch (actually, it should work for most "average" 10- gallon batches).1- keg converted to keggle for boiling wort.You can either keep the cooler and use it as is or convert the other keg, install a false bottom or manifold and use it as your MLT. This way you could direct fire it if you want to.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

70 qt stock pot as the HLT. You can get "most" of your water in there for a 10- gallon batch (actually, it should work for most "average" 10- gallon batches).1- keg converted to keggle for boiling wort.You can either keep the cooler and use it as is or convert the other keg, install a false bottom or manifold and use it as your MLT. This way you could direct fire it if you want to.

But the bigger and most important question I have, is what happened to your bewbs avatar? You and North have nice racks :P Seriously though.. I think I'm leaning toward the other keg with a stainless false bottom or something. But I am going back and forth on a FB or a manifold. :)

#4 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

Does the stockpot have a valve?

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Does the stockpot have a valve?

No, it is unmodified.

#6 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

hmm after getting my feet wet on 5 gallon batches i decided to go big. i guess it's just my nature20 gallon HLT2 - 15.5 gallon MLT (both hold around 50 lbs of grain)20 gallon kettleone brew standthe dual MLTs are good for stair stepping batches on a double or triple brew day.i guess it all comes down to what you want to do. i've always been of the mindset that if you can budget it out of your fun money, bigger is better

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87581 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

actually badogg, I've been kickin around a serious overall of my brew gear... ditch the homemade cooler/MLT (my cooler is literally about 30yrs old) and moving into a newer more modern false bottom rig like the fly sparge setups some of the LHBS's sell (ie. NB)... currently using a 10gal stainless pot and an older square King Kooker burner that has been serving me well for a long time... I don't want to go bigger than 10gal batch capacity, frankly have no need to...i'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for a while and see what kind of ideas pop up...

#8 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

No, it is unmodified.

Are you siphoning or dipping?I think I'd drill it and install a bulkhead fitted ball valve...I bet that thing was $$$$$ and you hate to modify it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users