#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

So I have a stout that I need to get bottled, and I wanted to re-use the yeast cake that it is currently sitting on for another batch. If after I took the beer off of the yeast I re-capped the carboy with an airlock, how long would it keep until I could use it? Would I have a few days you think?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

So I have a stout that I need to get bottled, and I wanted to re-use the yeast cake that it is currently sitting on for another batch. If after I took the beer off of the yeast I re-capped the carboy with an airlock, how long would it keep until I could use it? Would I have a few days you think?

I don't think I would wait that long. Usually if I go right onto the cake, I'm going into the secondary/keg/bottles (whichever as appropriate) while the boil is taking place. Then as it's cooling, it goes right onto the cake. If you have to bottle at a time other than during the boil, the saftest bet would be to swirl the carboy and pour the yeast into a sanitized Mason Jar. Can you bottle while you are boiling??? That would really be ideal.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

I think the ideal set up would be as Deerslyr said is put the yeast into a sanitized mason jar but another idea is this. Why don't you transfer offer your stout and leave maybe an inch of beer in the carboy covering your yeast. I think if you do that so that it does not dry out you could cap the carboy and keep it for several days at the least. I don't think the yeast would know any better and I doubt it would harm the yeast as well.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

I think the ideal set up would be as Deerslyr said is put the yeast into a sanitized mason jar but another idea is this. Why don't you transfer offer your stout and leave maybe an inch of beer in the carboy covering your yeast. I think if you do that so that it does not dry out you could cap the carboy and keep it for several days at the least. I don't think the yeast would know any better and I doubt it would harm the yeast as well.

I thought of this... except it won't have that protective CO2 blanket will it? And isn't that the important factor?

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

I thought of this... except it won't have that protective CO2 blanket will it? And isn't that the important factor?

I have a co2 tank that I can pump co2 into it before I cap it. :)

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

I never thought about any C02 to be honest. I just figured as long as the yeast is covered by some beer whether its 5 gallons or an inch it will not matter, it will at least stay moist and you can keep it like that for a while as well.

#7 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

Ideally you would transfer it to another vessel and keep it cool until you are ready to pitch it. I recommend listening to Brew Strong: Repitching Yeast https://thebrewingne...k.com/shows/492

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users