8 replies to this topic

#1 scootertig

scootertig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

I brewed a marzen (OG rougly 1.060), and I'd like to brew a helles using the same yeast (2206), with OG ~ 1.052. Can I directly pitch the fresh wort on that cake?Will the color be a problem? Is going to a lower-gravity beer a bad idea?aaron

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

I brewed a marzen (OG rougly 1.060), and I'd like to brew a helles using the same yeast (2206), with OG ~ 1.052. Can I directly pitch the fresh wort on that cake?Will the color be a problem? Is going to a lower-gravity beer a bad idea?aaron

I honestly have done it once recently, and had no ill effects. I went from maibock to pilsner 1.068 to 1.055, I know it's not recommended, but I did it and had no problems.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47989 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

Should be no problems at all.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

I wouldn't pitch on the whole cake, that's crazy talk. Only pitch what you need. That'll give you the best flavor profile.And that's one ####ing high OG for a Maerzen.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't pitch on the whole cake, that's crazy talk. Only pitch what you need. That'll give you the best flavor profile.And that's one ####ing high OG for a Maerzen.

1.060 is only .003 high by BJCP standars for an Oktoberfest / marzen

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

1.060 is only .003 high by BJCP standars for an Oktoberfest / marzen

It's also within the BA styleguides for "German Märzen", but "German Oktoberfest/Wiesen (Meadow)" maxes out at 1.056.

#7 scootertig

scootertig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

I wouldn't pitch on the whole cake, that's crazy talk. Only pitch what you need. That'll give you the best flavor profile.

What's the best way to "guess" how much yeast is appropriate? I've used Mr. Malty to figure starter volume, but here I'm sort of going in reverse. Is there a good approximation for figuring yeast concentration, or something like that (assuming I use Mr. Malty's calculator to figure how many billions of yeast cells I need, I'll need to figure out how much yeast that is, in volume, right?)aaron

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

What's the best way to "guess" how much yeast is appropriate? I've used Mr. Malty to figure starter volume, but here I'm sort of going in reverse. Is there a good approximation for figuring yeast concentration, or something like that (assuming I use Mr. Malty's calculator to figure how many billions of yeast cells I need, I'll need to figure out how much yeast that is, in volume, right?)aaron

You could take a general stab at it with the guidelines the calculator gives you on the slider for yeast slurry concentration. If there's more water present and the yeast is suspended, go more to the thin side. If it's compact slurry with little liquid, go to the thick side. Should be good enough.

#9 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

"Overpitching" a lager doesn't have nearly the same nasty effects that overpitching an ale tends to have (ie explosive blowoffs, nasty fusels, overactive fermentation, etc.). I wouldn't worry about any of that, but found that when I pitched on top of a lager yeast cake that the resulting beer didn't quite have the complexity or character I was seeking - I think a certain amount of reproductive activity on the part of the yeast is essential to developing a complex flavor profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users