13 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

It's your basic gold ale and it happens to work especially well for spring, opening day, that sort of thing. I really like the Sterlings in this beer, but you could sub them with Vangaurd, Saaz or anything you like. You could also use the yeast of your choice, but I happen to like the profile I get from White Labs 01 fermented on the cool side (62° to 65° or so). Cheers.

7 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb Vienna
8 oz Munich
8 oz Crystal 10°L
8 oz Carafoam
1 oz Sterling pellets 5.3% for 60 minutes
¼ oz Hallertau Tradition 5.7% for 10 minutes
White Labs 01 California Ale Yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 4, ABV: 4.8%

Posted Image

#2 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

I brewed this one yesterday. I guess I'm just "Mayfield Court Brewhouse Southwest" since the last two beers I've brewed have been Ken's recipes. :P Anyways, the brewday went very well. Hit my mash temp right on the dot (151)...collected 7 gallons of 1.039 wort, which was right on where I needed it to be to end up with 5.5 gallons of 1.050. Boil went well, cooling went well...and I came in at 1.048. A couple points low, but I'll take it.I've got it sitting in a round tub with cool water all around it currently. Gonna ferment it in the low 60s and see what happens!'Twas a great weekend.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Sounds good, Brian. I made 2 batches of this beer when I had my White Labs 01 up & running. One of those has been chilled, kegged & carbed and the other one will also be kegged, but then I plan to bottle the whole thing. My rarely have anything in bottles and thought this one would be good to have available. I hope it comes out well for you. Cheers.

#4 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

I kegged this one last night. Final gravity ended up at 1.011, so it's right where it needs to be...around 4.8%.I drank the sample that I pulled. First taste was a sip. Normally I don't finish the hydrometer sample (flat, slightly 'green' beer usually doesn't get me too excited) but I drank this sample completely....and quickly. This keg is going to go quickly. I'd better make 10 gallons next time I think... :rolf:

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Excellent. Yeah, that warm, flat hydro sample usually doesn't give you the full picture but at least it tells you if you have good beer or not. Very glad to hear it's looking good. Enjoy your Blonde and Happy Friday!

#6 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25630 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

I really like the Sterlings in this beer, but you could sub them with Vangaurd, Saaz or anything you like.

+1 Sterlings are a very nice hop. They could go in just about any beer. I brewed a mostly Vienna malt and Sterlings only. Simple, elegant and pure beerness.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

+1 Sterlings are a very nice hop. They could go in just about any beer. I brewed a mostly Vienna malt and Sterlings only. Simple, elegant and pure beerness.

Mmmm... pure beerness. :rolf:

#8 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

I remember this one was pretty tastey and the keg went fast. If I have some sterling hops left, it might be time for another batch. My two vienna's are ready to keg so my fermentation fridge is about to be free.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Daryl... your post is timely because last night I knocked off a keg of a Czech Lager and moved a keg of BLBA into the draft fridge. It had been sitting cold, carbed & kegged since early September and is very nice. Clear, crisp, smooth and Sterling-y. :wub: I know most people would rather have this around for spring or summer, but I usually have something gold & light on tap at all times. Cheers!

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

I kegged this one last night. Final gravity ended up at 1.011, so it's right where it needs to be...around 4.8%. I drank the sample that I pulled. First taste was a sip. Normally I don't finish the hydrometer sample (flat, slightly 'green' beer usually doesn't get me too excited) but I drank this sample completely....and quickly. This keg is going to go quickly. I'd better make 10 gallons next time I think... :lol:

Shoot, I take hydro samples to taste the beer. Getting the gravity is just a bonus.

#11 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

I am with you ken, it's nice to have a variety of beers on tap at all times of the year.

#12 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

This beer pairs really well with pizza. My wife's friends were over and they ordered pizza, then decided to try my homebrew and they wore out my keg of this. With that said it's back on my to be brewed list.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

This beer pairs really well with pizza. My wife's friends were over and they ordered pizza, then decided to try my homebrew and they wore out my keg of this. With that said it's back on my to be brewed list.

Wow, good stuff. It's always a good feeling when friends or family come over & appreciate your beer. Of course, you get that sinking feeling when friends or family come over and kill a keg. :shock: Cheers Amigo!

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

Wow, good stuff. It's always a good feeling when friends or family come over & appreciate your beer. Of course, you get that sinking feeling when friends or family come over and kill a keg. :P Cheers Amigo!

I actually don't mind this if they really like it - it just means I get to brew more beer :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users