#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

So what should I do about Brew #2's problem?

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

So what should I do about Brew #2's problem?

Let it sit on the yeast until you get consistent readings. That's what you should do. You don't want bottle bombs. A little extra time on the yeast cake, as mentioned by others, is not a bad thing. Helps clean it up. As for your querry about US-05. Your krausen ring of about an inch or so is consistent with the dozen batches that I have used US-05 for.RDWHAHB

#23 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

What is this? How does it work? Could I still let all of my hops roam free in the boil?Right now I just shake the bejesus out of the fermenter a few times prior to pitching the yeast but I'm not sure if this is working that great or not.

I believe he's talking about this: https://pivo.norther...searchTerm=7116It's a much easier way of aerating than shaking if you siphon into you fermenter. You'll need to deal with hops as you would for any other siphoning.Edit: I used to use this in order to save my back from shaking 5.5 gallons of wort, but I've stepped up to an aquarium pump and now even use that thing inline when chilling.

Edited by chuck_d, 10 June 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#24 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

I'm confused - is this wort or beer right now (aka - did he just brew or did he just finish primary fermentation)....

I'm chilling after the boil so it will be cool while I dump and I would have to shake to oxygenate for the yeast anyway. I was just trying to figure whether I should siphon so I get clearer beer after fermentation. Maybe I am just over thinking it.

Oops, I was thinking that he was talking about finished beer. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users