#21 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

You can export and convert your Promash recipes to beerXML files with this converterOnce converted to beerXML, you can open up your recipes in BeerSmith or BeerTools.

#22 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:51 AM

You can export and convert your Promash recipes to beerXML files with this converterOnce converted to beerXML, you can open up your recipes in BeerSmith or BeerTools.

Thats pretty neato. I just downloaded and converted. I will have to download and test drive the others later. I still might go to pencil and paper, but it is nice to know that my recipes aren't stuck in Promash land.

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

Oh the irony. Somewhere, codemonkey is laughing.

#24 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

I started doing partial mashes with the free Java version of Strangebrew. When I started doing all grain, I bought a copy of Promash because that's what so many people said they use. It took about 5 minutes for me to get so disgusted with the UI that I've never tried to use it again. It was a total waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I'm not that much of a numbers guy anyway, so I'd never use most of the wonderful features that are apparently hidden behind that awful UI that I didn't have the patience to fight my way through. If Promash is dead, I say good riddance.

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

I've been using Diesel's Brewing Spreadsheet, but I recently got a crap computer for my garage that I uploaded Ubuntu on. I downloaded Brew Target for it, so I'll have to try it out. I'm still really getting the feel for my brewing set up since this is the first place I've lived and brewed in for longer than 6 months. I'll have to check out the BYO article to read up on Brew Target.

Breakpoint,You will have to let me know what you think of Brew Target. I have a second computer there that runs on Ubuntu thanks to my Father in Law. He was here today and upgraded the computer. I didn't know Brew Target was on there and he just showed it to me this afternoon. I have never used it. I use BeerSmith on this better computer and am curious to see what Brew Target can do. Thanks and enjoy!Mike

#26 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

I was reading the May/June BYO article on brewing software, and I was kinda saddened by the absence of Promash. It has been such an icon in the brewing software world. I get why they left it out and dont disagree with the decision. It is just a sad end of an era. If I had more time ( :) ), I would love to try to acquire it and keep the development/updating going.Anyhow, the question it leads me to is, of those of you that have been long-time promash users, are you upgrading to one of the new ones or just keeping promash going? The Beer Alchemy opens promash files but the article says only runs on OS X. (NO AGrandDesign, I am not going to buy a Mac....not even for the beer making cause.)I have actually thought about just going back to pencil and paper. Dealing with computers and IT crap all day at work makes that option seem kind of therapeutic.

linkety

BrewAlchemy Touch - Homebrew Recipe Software on the GoNow you can create recipes anywhere with a powerful recipe organizer on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

See, you don't have to buy a Mac.... :(

#27 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

linketySee, you don't have to buy a Mac.... :(

iNotGonnaHappenitunes is the devil's work.

#28 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

Breakpoint,You will have to let me know what you think of Brew Target. I have a second computer there that runs on Ubuntu thanks to my Father in Law. He was here today and upgraded the computer. I didn't know Brew Target was on there and he just showed it to me this afternoon. I have never used it. I use BeerSmith on this better computer and am curious to see what Brew Target can do. Thanks and enjoy!Mike

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. I fooled around with it a little after the initial download and figure some stuff out, but some stuff was odd. I'm sure I just need time and since I plan on brewing Saturday, I'm sure I'll fiddle around with it a little more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users