7 replies to this topic

#1 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

The Brew Hut brought the guys from Winexpert in as they were touring around getting the word out about this year's crop of Limited Edition wine kits. Not being able to resist, I sighed up for two kits, the New Zealand Merlot and the Italian Docetto. Of course I applied my Wine Kit Pyment technique to both batches, making three gallons as wine and using the other three gallons as the base for the pyments. I pitched yeast on both (all four?) batches last night. They are bubbling nicely this morning.

#2 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Not yet 24 hours and the fermentation is going like gangbusters.I just checked the pH of the pyments. The Merlot Pyment is at 3.08, and the Dolcetto pyment is at 3.00 even. I will be adding PotCarb (5g) to each.The Dolcetto wine went off well, but the Merlot did not. I think I forgot to aerate (it was LATE). I gave it a shot of O2 and added another packet of yeast. That did the trick.

#3 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

Okay, this is odd.I took pH readings this morning. These are AFTER adding 5g Potassium Carbonate last night (stirring well):
    [*]Merlot Pyment - 3.06[*]Dolcetto Pyment - 3.02[/list]I know optimum is ~3.7. The batches are fermenting like mad, albeit with noticeable stinkiness. I'm reluctant to add any more PotCarb.Thoughts, anyone?

#4 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Although the optimum pH is often noted as ~3.7, I make no attempt to adjust my mead pH to that value unless I have a good reason - so far I've not found one.I measure the initial pH, and then monitor the fermentation rate daily for the first week. Based on experience I can tell if that rate is straying from the expected norm. If it does, I will then recheck the pH and add a K carbonate (or bicarbonate).Now your case may be special as you're using wine kit concentrates. Beside being concentrated, those juices have other additives (that the manufacturers do not disclose), which may be the root cause for that low pH. Comparatively, the pyments I've made only used fresh grape juice whose initial pH was 3.31 (Riesling). and 3.38 (Barbera). Neither of those Pyments had any pH issues.If the fermentation is proceeding well, then don't worry about pH. But if it begins to slow prematurely, you may need further adjustments. However, not know what those kit additives are, you may be paly with "fire" adding other chemicals.Sorry, but I do not have a better answer...

#5 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'll keep a watch over the fermentation. I'll take gravity readings tonight. They are fermenting quickly and putting out quite a stink.More as it develops.

#6 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Stink as in Hydrogen Sulfide? Or something else?? Can you tell if the bulk of the stink is coming from the wines, or the pyments? Keep in mind that even though the kits might include enough nutrient for a wine fermentation, when you add honey and more water to make them into pyments you might be reducing the concentration of assimilable nitrogen down below the point where the yeast are comfortable. Stressed yeast tend to be stinky yeast.

#7 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

They've been stinky before. Nothing new. :)And so far they've turned out okay.

#8 The Brew Dude

The Brew Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

Merlot Pyment - 1.050, pH 3.19Dolcetto Pyment - 1.044, pH 3.15pH is creeping up, fermentation has slowed from it's blistering pace but still very much in stride. I think I'll stop worrying now. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users