#1 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

When I first got my used kegs 4 years ago now, a couple of them had flat seal rings for the lids. I replaced over time with the standard round seals. I was wondering now if the flat seals would seal a little better than the round ones. A few of my kegs even with new round seals I have to use keg lube to get a good seal at serving pressures? Personally I think the lube is a little nasty, worries me if the lube could be a refuge for wild bugs.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

When I first got my used kegs 4 years ago now, a couple of them had flat seal rings for the lids. I replaced over time with the standard round seals. I was wondering now if the flat seals would seal a little better than the round ones. A few of my kegs even with new round seals I have to use keg lube to get a good seal at serving pressures? Personally I think the lube is a little nasty, worries me if the lube could be a refuge for wild bugs.

It's food safe lube but to be safe I soak all lubed parts in starsan immediately before rebuilding the keg. Since my kegs with beer in them are refrigerated at all times I'm not too worried.I'd recommend using keg lube on all of your rubber parts b/c it will keep them from getting damaged from friction or drying out.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'd recommend using keg lube on all of your rubber parts b/c it will keep them from getting damaged from friction or drying out.

Meh, I'll lube the lid ring sometimes in order to get it to seal, but I'm not worried about post or tube rings from wearing down so I'll avoid the hassle of lubing them. They're only $2 for a pack of 100, so at 2 cents a pop it's worth the cost to replace them.

Edited by chuck_d, 05 June 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#4 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'd tend to think the round ones will seat better once you get them seated.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

I have a few kegs where it's a real biznitch to get the lid ring seated, regardless of lube. I'd love a better solution.

#6 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

Keg lube on the lid rings makes them seal instantaneously when I apply CO2 pressure. I started lubing the poppets and the post rings, and now it's much, much easier to get the disconnect on and off. Also, it has eliminated the the problem I have had a couple of times with the poppet sticking open and spilling beer, when I removed a beer-side disconnect. Keg lube is my friend.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

I still have one or two that leak with lube and 30 psi CO2. I've tried different lids and new o-rings with the kegs, to no avail. I may have to whack them with a mallet to get them back in shape.

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

I still have one or two that leak with lube and 30 psi CO2. I've tried different lids and new o-rings with the kegs, to no avail. I may have to whack them with a mallet to get them back in shape.

If it still has problems sealing with a different lid, a new o-ring, and using keg lube, then it pretty much has to be a problem with the lip around the opening. If you can't feel any spurs or gouges on the inside of that lip, then it must have been somehow been bent out of shape. In that case, I don't see that you have any choice but to try a little body work on it with a hammer. Maybe go to work on the outside of it while the lid is in place to provide a form?

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

I started lubing the poppets and the post rings, and now it's much, much easier to get the disconnect on and off. Also, it has eliminated the the problem I have had a couple of times with the poppet sticking open and spilling beer, when I removed a beer-side disconnect. Keg lube is my friend.

Now that sounds like a reason to lube my post, wait what? I do have a few that are kind of a pain to get the QDs on/off. I never really thought to lube it since I only thought of that for sealing, instead I just dealt with it.

Edited by chuck_d, 05 June 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#10 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

If it still has problems sealing with a different lid, a new o-ring, and using keg lube, then it pretty much has to be a problem with the lip around the opening. If you can't feel any spurs or gouges on the inside of that lip, then it must have been somehow been bent out of shape. In that case, I don't see that you have any choice but to try a little body work on it with a hammer. Maybe go to work on the outside of it while the lid is in place to provide a form?

Sounds like those are good candidates for corny fermenters.

#11 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

I think the flat ones may have been round at some point.Williams Brewing sells some chunkier o rings that are made of softer stuff. They'll seal at no pressure on a good keg.

#12 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

I think the flat ones may have been round at some point.Williams Brewing sells some chunkier o rings that are made of softer stuff. They'll seal at no pressure on a good keg.

With were flat about 3/8" wide , 1/4 thick. slightly oval.Thanks for the heads up about Williams Brewing having lager seals.https://www.williams...RING_P58C78.cfm

#13 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

With were flat about 3/8" wide , 1/4 thick. slightly oval.Thanks for the heads up about Williams Brewing having lager seals.https://www.williams...RING_P58C78.cfm

Anyone know if McMaster has something similar?

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:04 AM

Anyone know if McMaster has something similar?

They almost certainly do. Williams doesn't list the diameter, but it's probably 9/32 or 5/16. I bought some of the standard ones from McMaster a little while back, I'll check the durometer of the standard ones and see if there's something a little softer.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:11 AM

Meh, I'll lube the lid ring sometimes in order to get it to seal, but I'm not worried about post or tube rings from wearing down so I'll avoid the hassle of lubing them. They're only $2 for a pack of 100, so at 2 cents a pop it's worth the cost to replace them.

Where do you get them at this price?

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

Where do you get them at this price?

McMaster-Carr. The part numbers are floating around somewhere.

#17 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10827 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have a few kegs where it's a real biznitch to get the lid ring seated, regardless of lube. I'd love a better solution.

I have a couple like that. When I keg I hit them with 40psi of CO2. They have no choice but to seat then.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

I have a couple like that. When I keg I hit them with 40psi of CO2. They have no choice but to seat then.

I should've said mine will seat with enough pressure, but when I back it off they start leaking again.

#19 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

https://www.mcmaster.com/Tube O-Rings 9452K172 BunaN #109 Post O-Rings 9452K23 BunaN #111 Lid O-Rings 9452K218 BunaN #417

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

I didn't see anything o-rings in mcmaster that were thicker and softer. They do have some softer ones, but they're the same thickness. You can also buy the standard Buna-N o-ring cord stock and make your own. I might do that. I've done it before for another project, it's pretty easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users