• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

Has anyone brewed with WYeast 3789? I've got a pack coming today. Wondering what kind of results this blend gives. I've heard the Brett is Brett B. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

Has anyone brewed with WYeast 3789? I've got a pack coming today. Wondering what kind of results this blend gives. I've heard the Brett is Brett B. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks

I can't confirm that it is Brett B but the fact that they call it a Trappist blend and it contains Brett points to the only Trappist brewery that uses Brett and that is Orval. Again unconfirmed as the Brett that Orval uses is their own propagated/evolved strain but Brett B is the one most commonly attributed to the character found in Orval.Definitely looks like a fun strain.

#3 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

I can't confirm that it is Brett B but the fact that they call it a Trappist blend and it contains Brett points to the only Trappist brewery that uses Brett and that is Orval. Again unconfirmed as the Brett that Orval uses is their own propagated/evolved strain but Brett B is the one most commonly attributed to the character found in Orval.Definitely looks like a fun strain.

I've heard that its supposed to mimic orval. But from the description, the Brett could be clausennii or even analomus. I guess I'll have to find out from taste when I brew my saison and Belgian pale ale with it to start. :)

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

I've heard that its supposed to mimic orval. But from the description, the Brett could be clausennii or even analomus. I guess I'll have to find out from taste when I brew my saison and Belgian pale ale with it to start. :)

Mimic is the right word. Orval introduces the Brett during secondary with the dry hops where as this blend has it in there from the beginning. Since there are strains of saccharomyces in there they will definitely be the first out of the gate and do the bulk of the primary fermentation. Brett is a marathon runner not a sprinter, it'll show up once the primary is complete so in that sense it will give you a very Orval like fermentation without the concern of multiple pitchings of different strains at different times.I've never use that strain but I'd be very interested in your results. Orval is a great beer that if you are willing to leave it to age an extra year or two continues to evolve for the better IMO.

#5 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

I'm brewing 15G of Belgian Blonde this weekend. I'll be splitting it between 3 strains WY3789, Brett C, and the last will be WL530. I'll report back with the results.Mashman

#6 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

I'm brewing 15G of Belgian Blonde this weekend. I'll be splitting it between 3 strains WY3789, Brett C, and the last will be WL530. I'll report back with the results.Mashman

WLP 530 is great for Belgian Blondes. I kegged mine last night and can't wait for it to carbonate. One word of caution though BBBOT. I had 1/2" slurry on the bottom of my blow off tube container. This yeast takes off like a rocket and ferments down like crazy. 1.070 to 1.010. I'm using the same strain for a Dubbel and a Trippel in the coming weeks.

Edited by DubbelEntendre, 04 June 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Speaking of Orval, just picked up the platinum strain Bastogne WLP510 when I was in Austin over the weekend. Also have a smacker of the 3789, I may do side by side comparisons.

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

There are some great ideas and projects in the works here making me think this would be a great opportunity for a bottle swap if people are willing to exchange their precious Belgian/Trappist/Brett influenced beers with others. Any interest? I know I'd be willing to work something up to swap as I'd love to see how others peoples beers in this style are turning out. Also knowing how Brett works (slowly) this would be a minimum 4-6 months down the road.

#9 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

There are some great ideas and projects in the works here making me think this would be a great opportunity for a bottle swap if people are willing to exchange their precious Belgian/Trappist/Brett influenced beers with others. Any interest? I know I'd be willing to work something up to swap as I'd love to see how others peoples beers in this style are turning out. Also knowing how Brett works (slowly) this would be a minimum 4-6 months down the road.

I'd be down for this, I need to get some brett to go along with this WLP530 culture I have going on. I'd like to do a Flanders Redish with the 530 and brett instead of lactobacillus.

#10 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'd be up for a trade of the funk in the future.Mashman

#11 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:58 AM

Thought I'd bubble this one back up to the top. How's everybody's funk doing? My lambic and flanders brown are both crawling right along. I moved 2 weekends ago so my peliciles are in shambles but I'm watching to see how fast they regrow. The way things are looking I'm hoping to have something presentable by January 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users