#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

I've started kegging my beer, but I need to bottle a batch for an event that I cannot transport kegs to. I just recently started cold crashing my beer for clarity purposes. Since I view homebrew as a work of art, I want people to enjoy the look, as well as the taste of my beer. If I rack to secondary and cold crash for a week to get more of whatever is in suspension to fall out, will this have any effect on the bottle conditioning time?edit: spelling

Edited by DubbelEntendre, 02 June 2009 - 01:46 PM.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

You will be fine for only cold crashing for a week. There is so much yeast left in your beer you will be fine even though you can't see it. If you cold crash a lager for a month or more and then bottle that could bring on problems and then you pitch some yeast when you bottle. In your case that does not apply. I would just cold crash the beer for a week then bottle it up. Why dont you carbonate it in the keg and fill the bottles from there. I have a counter filler but many here use the bottle wand shoved into a picnic tap to bottle kegged beer as well. I think you will be fine though doing it the way you said and asked about.PS: Just make sure if you bottle the beer to carbonate dont hold it cold make sure its like 70 degrees for a fe weeks to a month so that the yeast can eat up the bottling sugar.

#3 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

A week will be NO problem. I had an Imperial Stout which I had planned to bottle, and I had is cold conditioning for 2 months and STILL there was enough yeast to carbonate the finished beer. You'll be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users