#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

I plan to mix this up in the next day or two...any thoughts on the process or spices would be greatly appreciated.5 gallons fresh pressed pink lady cider 8 lbs WA wildflower honey2 cinnamon sticks7 cloves3 oz Gingeryeast - 71bProcess:simmer 1 gallon cider with spices over low heat until reduced by over 1/2. Turn off heat, allow cider/spice mix to cool to around 180 and stir in honey. Add honey/cider/spice mix to the remaing 4 gallons of cider. Add O2 and first nutrient addition. Pitch 71b rehydraded in go-ferm.

#2 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Heating the cider will set the pectins and you'll get a haze.

That's a great point and one I didn't think of. I kind of want to try a cider reduction to see what it gives me...would pectic enzyme preferment fix the haze issues?

#3 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

I would guess that if you treat the cider with pectinase for a day or two before boiling, it should be fine.

Is there a difference between pectinase and your standard pectic enzyme? Polycar could be an option too. Any thoughts on the spices?

#4 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Pectinase is the technical term for pectic enzyme. I don't know about Polycar - I've never used it. Spices look pretty good, but the cloves might be a bit much? I love the ginger addition.

Thanks. I may cut back on the cloves a bit...I can always add more later in the process if needed. I think I'll move forward with this. I'll add pectic enzyme preferment and give it 18-24 hours to start working before I pitch. I think I remember reading that the enzymes work better/faster before alcohol is present.

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Heating the reduction on the stove....smells amazingfinal spice mix was:6 whole cloves5 crushed all spice berries (I had forgotten I had these) 3 whole cinnamon sticks3.5 oz grated GingerI'll strain out the spices before adding the honeyif the spices come out overpowering I have a standard mead I can blend with.

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

But you didn't do the pectinase... :lol: Heating sets pectins and can't be cleared by enzymatic action.

Pectic enzymes have worked for others even with set pectins...In the end I don't really care if this one is crystal clear.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Must is mixed - tastes great. I overpoured on the honey a bit so the starting gravity is at 1.120ish. I went ahead and pitch the d47 so i'll either have a sack mead or I'll add a different yeast to finish things off later on.

Edited by EWW, 13 March 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

BJCP says sack mead is a mead with an OG 1.120 - 1.170 and an ABV 14 - 18%

Technicallities...if this get's down below 1.020 I'll be happy. Should make a nice after dinner / dessert cyser.

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Transferred today. Sitting at 1.012...very nice, spices may be a bit strong but not overwhelming. There's a slight bubblegum flavor that I can't decide if it's yeast driven or spice driven. Crystal clear and it'll be a treat o drink at this year's press.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users