#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:33 AM

OK, im heating strike water for my first try at Denny's RyePA. From what i gather, my first hop addition should be to the kettle as im collecting the runoff. And i leave them in until after the boil. Correct?

#2 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

You've got it. Happy brew day.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

You got it. The FWH come out to be equivalent to 20 minute additions. I brewed this last year with a buddy. Great beer. Enjoy!!

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

Someone want to explain what the point of first wort hopping is? I don't get it. Based on my understanding of the chemistry of the hops, adding hops with the first runnings will just start the isomerization process earlier, and due to the length in the pot you will lose utilization. So you don't get any flavor/aroma benefit and your bittering is reduced from a 60 min addition. So again, what's the point? "Smoother" bitterness?

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

try it, you'll like it

Someone want to explain what the point of first wort hopping is? I don't get it. Based on my understanding of the chemistry of the hops, adding hops with the first runnings will just start the isomerization process earlier, and due to the length in the pot you will lose utilization. So you don't get any flavor/aroma benefit and your bittering is reduced from a 60 min addition. So again, what's the point? "Smoother" bitterness?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

try it, you'll like it

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

Thanks guys. Now if i can get my runoff to go a little faster. :smilielol:

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

Something about having them stand for some time (30-60 minutes?) at a moderate temp (~150°), ramping them up to 212° and then boiling for 60 minutes is different than throwing them into boiling wort for 60 minutes alone.It certainly makes a difference. To me, you get the counter balance to the sweet malt without the harsh tongue-attacking bitterness. It is a hop flavored enhanced bitterness, not a pure bitter. The malt and hops meld a little better.My favorite Alt uses FWH + 60 boil Hops only. I get enough spalt flavor, but not too much bitterness.zymot

#9 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

try it, you'll like it

I agree 100%. My house IPA right now has ONLY a FWH and a dry hop and it is deeeeeeelish.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

Fine, then, I'll have to try it. :smilielol:

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

wrong thread.

Edited by JKoravos, 31 May 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

I'd call it a smoother rounder, less harsh bittering.

#13 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

This sounds like just the thing for me to try next.

#14 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'm assuming it works the same way with batch sparging. I'm curious, though, because after I add my sparge water, I let the grain bed resettle for 1/2 hour before I drain the sparge water. Would this have any effect on the FWH process?

#15 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

My g/f wasn't a fan of my IPA's until I started FWH'ing. I agree with Stout_fan, smoother bitterness. I haven't gotten a grasp on the complexities of the chemistry, but I love the result.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

because after I add my sparge water, I let the grain bed resettle for 1/2 hour before I drain the sparge water.

Why the heck are you doing that? I just stir in the sparge water, vorluaf, and runoff. The entire process, from the time I start my mash runoff til the time I end my sparge runoff, takes only 15 min. for 7.5-8 gal. of wort. You're wasting some serious time, man!But, to answer the question you _really_ asked, no, it won't make any difference to the FWH.

#17 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

The entire process, from the time I start my mash runoff til the time I end my sparge runoff, takes only 15 min. for 7.5-8 gal. of wort. You're wasting some serious time, man!

Noted. Also, because Palmer said to let it stand for 15 minutes. Not sure why I bumped that up to 30.

But, to answer the question you _really_ asked, no, it won't make any difference to the FWH.

Word.edit: added Palmer anecdote.

Edited by DubbelEntendre, 02 June 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#18 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'm assuming it works the same way with batch sparging. I'm curious, though, because after I add my sparge water, I let the grain bed resettle for 1/2 hour before I drain the sparge water. Would this have any effect on the FWH process?

In the link DJ posted it mentions pH having a factor at the preboil stage in isomerization for bitterness, but dosnt mention much about the "why" for aroma. From what I have seen, the aroma comes from oils in the hop's glands that are volatile at boil temperatures. So very little oils are extracted when the addition is added at boiltime, and what is extracted usually vaporizes. The FWH allows these oils to be extracted in a much higher volume due to optimum temperature, so even though some boil off occurs, much oil is left behind, producing aroma. The other way for extracting besides these optimum temps is the more obvious dryhop, and that gets its success because now alcohol is involved which aids in the stripping of these oils during the secondary/keg period. The third alternative is to filter through the hopback, but to get optimum results you would want to chill the wort to 150-160 before doing so, which is ideal. That is at least what I have learned so far.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

In the link DJ posted it mentions pH having a factor at the preboil stage in isomerization for bitterness, but dosnt mention much about the "why" for aroma. From what I have seen, the aroma comes from oils in the hop's glands that are volatile at boil temperatures. So very little oils are extracted when the addition is added at boiltime, and what is extracted usually vaporizes. The FWH allows these oils to be extracted in a much higher volume due to optimum temperature, so even though some boil off occurs, much oil is left behind, producing aroma. The other way for extracting besides these optimum temps is the more obvious dryhop, and that gets its success because now alcohol is involved which aids in the stripping of these oils during the secondary/keg period. The third alternative is to filter through the hopback, but to get optimum results you would want to chill the wort to 150-160 before doing so, which is ideal. That is at least what I have learned so far.

There are several more FWH articles out there if you google it enough. Honestly, my organic chemistry days etc., are so far gone that I can barely make sense of some of them. And I do remember enough that most of them are educated guesses at why what happens. Supposedly, IIRC, it started with a screw up when the hops were accidentally thrown in before the wort way back when in Germany. Serendipity can be a cool thing. Regardless, I feel it is a great technique to try with just about any style of beer.Plus, it can be one of those brew days where a whole lot of other stuff can be done because you have nothing to do during the boil except don't boilover.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Noted. Also, because Palmer said to let it stand for 15 minutes.

I respectfully disagree wit John on this. I wonder how much batch sparging he's actually done?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users