#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

I just got back from the LHBS. I am going to brew my second extract on Sunday, a SNPA clone. I can't wait to make some more beer!I was going to do an irish red, but my brew buddy is sick and I have to keep poking him to show me how to do all grain, I figured he would brew, then I would brew right after that way I could learn and do 2 in one day. But, this will have to do until then.Cheers!Rich

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Rich -Share your recipe, if you don't mind. I'm brewing tonight and for one or two seconds going back to my roots for an extract brew. But then I forgot that I already had ground my grains for my Wit. I myself am looking forward to my Friday night session!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

Here ya go.SNPA Clone5+ lb Light DME (As Needed to reach OG)1 lb 60L Crystal0.5 lb White WheatSteep at 153 for 30 min in 3 galAdd in 3 gal distilled/spring water + Light DME0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min.YeastS-05, US-56, 1056 or WL 001OG = 1.053FG = 1.011I got US-05 dry yeast for this batch, my first beer I used a smack pack.I just add this stuff to some boiled/cooled sterilized water and dump it on the cooled wort right? or do I need to add some DME to it (I have extra)?

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

Good Luck Rich. Your recipe looks good. You cant go wrong with SNPA for sure. Your comment about your friend and brewing your beer and learing all grain reminds me of last summer. I was invited to a friends to brew there was like 5 of us brewing, 4 all grainers and 1 extract, we all started at the same time the extract guy was done and all before the all grainers even completed collecting all of their wort. It reminded me of how concise extract can be. You can brew 2 extracts in the time it takes to brew one all grain but its all good. Enjoy!!Chad, enjoy your friday night brewsession. When my boy and girl (twins) were born just over 3 years ago I brewed many many a beer on friday night after they were in bed. Not sure what time restraints it will add to you but it got me through and kept the wife happy as well. Hope your Wit goes well!!Mike

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

I got US-05 dry yeast for this batch, my first beer I used a smack pack.I just add this stuff to some boiled/cooled sterilized water and dump it on the cooled wort right? or do I need to add some DME to it (I have extra)?

You're going to get a lot of varying replies, but I've always just dumped it in dry. Others will go the boiled/cooled water route, but no need to waste the DME on yeast unless you're making a starter (which it sounds like you're not).

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Rich -Good luck with your SNPA clone! I've never tried a clone of that, maybe I'll have to put it on my list. I've thought a couple times about going old school and doing an extract brew, but I just love the options you have with AG. You'll make and switch one of these days and love it! This board was great when it came to questions about making the switch.I used US05 on a batch of Ken's MLPA awhile back and it turned out great. I've also used that yeast on my Dogfather IPA and it came out super clean and well attenuated. You'll like the results!Mike -Thanks! I've already started working out the logistics of brewing with a newborn! I guess getting in a routine is the best way. I'm trying to brew as much as possible before she gets here so I've got a stockpile of my beers :cheers:. I think I'll start a thread asking the board for tips!Cheers all!

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

Like I said before, Im gonna go all grain when I can afford it, I can borrow my buddies stuff for now, but hes got two kids and a new job so getting him to brew again is gonna be tough. I could probably attempt it on my own but why screw it up when there is a wealth of knowledge picking his nose 2 minutes from my house?

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

This recipe, other than the hop schedule, is pretty close to MLPA. Hopefully this is a style you like a lot :cheers:

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

My first beer was MLPA, and I really like it, this should be a bit hoppier.Cheers!Rich

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

My first beer was MLPA, and I really like it, this should be a bit hoppier.Cheers!Rich

It certainly should be! :smilielol:

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

Done brewing...its 4:37am...I drank too much...I decided to brew tonight around 10 pm, because if I didnt I was afraid I my not be able to tomorrow. I have to help my dad in a few hours and my buddy move so I didnt think there would be brew time in between. So 6 beers later and I think i managed the steeping and hops schedule ok. I put the pot in an ice bath in the cooler and then left it there to cool...and fell asleep. Woke up to Chuck Norris and the total gym, I dumped the wort into the carboy and pitched the dry yeast. Shook it up and put it in the closet with an airlock. I dumped some oxyclean in the pot and left it, did some minor clean up and now i will go pass out for a few hours.Soo tired, I think it will be beer, dont know how much of a clone though, I skipped measuring the OG and just estimated the DME at 5ish pounds from 2, 3lb bags.must sleep...

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

Good Luck Rich. I just got mashed in on my Tripel this morning. Sounds like an adventurous brew no doubts. Happy fermentation and sleep in this case as well. Mike

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

My dad called at 7am to tell me to come over for french toast before we go put up some barbed wire fence...my response was "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle"...he says something else, I go back to sleep and wake up at 8. I checked the beer this morning and I don't think I shook well enough because I think there was yeast floating on the surface. I shook it up some more and put it in the cooler wioth some cool water.When I got home it still looks like the yeasties have not started. I shook it up again. I think the water may be too cool. Its 59 and I am using Safale US-05 dry yeast.Note: I was too sleepy and hungover when I got off the couch this morning that I put the chilled wort in the carboy prior to pitching my yeast so the wort was all foamy and I was sooo tired, so i just dumped the dry yeast in and shook it for about 2 minutes. Next time I will pitch in the brew pot, or dump the yeast in first and rack on top of it. I am never starting my beer at 9pm ever again while drunk.Question: I could not tell which hop bags were which so I left them in the wort while it was chilling. After 1.5 hours it was 45 Deg F. Will there be any off flavors you think because the hops were in for a while?Observation: I got drunk on SNPA while I was brewing and ran out, I switched to Yuengling. The Yuenling tasted like bananas, I have never tasted that before in beer, what is it from and has anyone else tasted bananas in Yuengling?Im gonna clean off all of my puncture wounds from making the barbed wire fence and crash now.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

YAY! Houston, we have fermentation, over.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:32 AM

Why the wheat?BrewBasser

#16 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29314 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Like I said before, Im gonna go all grain when I can afford it, I can borrow my buddies stuff for now, but hes got two kids and a new job so getting him to brew again is gonna be tough. I could probably attempt it on my own but why screw it up when there is a wealth of knowledge picking his nose 2 minutes from my house?

Have you joined Tampa Bay Beers yet? It is one of the largest clubs in the state could easily find someone to show you AG.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

Why the wheat?BrewBasser

Head retention and mouth feel, or so I was told. But the fact that you are asking this doesn't make me feel all warm and gooey inside. It will be beer, but I'm not sure how close it will be to your fine product.

Have you joined Tampa Bay Beers yet? It is one of the largest clubs in the state could easily find someone to show you AG.

No, not yet. My life is too hectic right now (had to brew late at night just to make this batch and get up and work all day Sunday) to get involved in another social club of sorts although I will do it eventually. Plus, I am trying to get my buddy to brew again. He hasn't brewed in about 2 years with the exception of helping me with my first and he is a damn good brewer and knows a lot about all the interactions that are going on chemically and the cause and effect of technique. He just needs some coaxing and if I get him to show me all grain he'll have to brew his own first. Cheers!Rich

#18 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

Wheat will give you head retention and mouthfeel, but also can give you clarity issues. I can confidently that there is no wheat in SNPA.Carapils will help with the same effects with less clarity issues of wheat.It is much more commonly used than wheat in APAs Don't worry, it isn't that big of a deal, I was just curious as I haven't seen a SNPA clone recipe with wheat in it before.BrewBasser

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

As an afterthought...This recipe is close to MLPA, but with a different hop schedule. My MLPA came out really amber colored and after having a few SNPA's its much lighter, so I think I should have used extra light DME. So really I need to call it something else rather than a clone, more like the bastard child of SNPA and MLPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users