22 replies to this topic

#1 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Going out for german food for my 42nd birthday tonight. I love german food, but have no appreciation for German beer. I'm all about hoppy apa's. Can you guys/gals recommend 5 or so beers that I might like considering my love for "grassy" beers?!

#2 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

Here's the beer list.....https://bier-stube.com/Beer_MSpubLEC.pdf

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

Going out for german food for my 42nd birthday tonight. I love german food, but have no appreciation for German beer. I'm all about hoppy apa's. Can you guys/gals recommend 5 or so beers that I might like considering my love for "grassy" beers?!

I've only been to one place that had anything other than Hieniken, Becks, and a couple of the other well known ones. There was a nice bock, but I can't remember its name.Cheers,Rich

#4 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

Das IPA

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87573 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

just about anything by spaten or paulaner are gonna be good choices... but few are going to give you much of a hop bite that you like... the word 'balance' can describe most german beers... nothing really stands out on the hop side of things, the bock variants are all very malty, you'll be hard pressed to find grassy beers from germany

#6 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33971 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

wouldn't it depend on what you're going to eat?

#7 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Best 5 beers from that list, in my non-objective and non-humble opinion:Franziskaner HefeweizenWeihenstephaner HefeweizenHoegaardenSpaten OktoberfestSummit IPAIf I were you, I would start with a Franziskaner Hefe, then a Spaten Oktoberfest, then a Summit IPA, then repeat any you liked the first time.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Either sausage or pounded breaded fried meat with spatzle most likely.Cheers,Rich

#9 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'm getting the 3 sausage sampler, pick 3 of their 6 german sausage varieties, it comes with 3 cheeses, sauerkraut, and rye bread.

#10 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Best 5 beers from that list, in my non-objective and non-humble opinion:Franziskaner HefeweizenWeihenstephaner HefeweizenHoegaardenSpaten OktoberfestSummit IPAIf I were you, I would start with a Franziskaner Hefe, then a Spaten Oktoberfest, then a Summit IPA, then repeat any you liked the first time.

Thanks for that input!!! The hefe and oktoberfest were looking good to me!!

#11 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

if you want hops, pilsner is about the only thing on the list that will fit the bill, though their hops are much different than what it sounds like you crave. I like the steigl pils a lot, but nothing beats a standard weinhenstephaner in my book.

#12 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

PBR all the way!

#13 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33971 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

I'm getting the 3 sausage sampler, pick 3 of their 6 german sausage varieties, it comes with 3 cheeses, sauerkraut, and rye bread.

i'd stay away from lagers/pilsners. they're not likely to be able to stand up to the heavy taste of sausage. czechvar or gosser dark might be an exception to that.warsteiner dunkel, maybe? ayinger dark hefe, maybe?

#14 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

Add:Warsteiner Dunkel or Franziskaner DunkelKöstritzer (nice and roasty, but not heavy schwarzbier)I can drink my body weight in hefe. No fruit please.Not a fan of Hoegaarden.Summit IPA is good, but not sure I would want it with German food.Mr. Shiny Pants and I got married at a German restaurant.

#15 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

i'd stay away from lagers/pilsners. they're not likely to be able to stand up to the heavy taste of sausage. czechvar or gosser dark might be an exception to that.warsteiner dunkel, maybe? ayinger dark hefe, maybe?

Thanks!! I think I'll start hefe, then oktoberfest, then (per your suggestion) dunkel/dark hefe!!

#16 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

PBR all the way!

Ya can't find pbr draft just anywhere ;)

#17 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Add:Warsteiner Dunkel or Franziskaner DunkelKöstritzer (nice and roasty, but not heavy schwarzbier)I can drink my body weight in hefe. No fruit please.Not a fan of Hoegaarden.Summit IPA is good, but not sure I would want it with German food.Mr. Shiny Pants and I got married at a German restaurant.

I agree with you on the fruit. A Hefe should not need fruit to add flavor.Dunkels and Schwarzbiers are not my favorites. On the other hand, I'm a big fan of Belgian witbier. So, you can have my dunkels, and I'll take your wits. ;)

#18 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Köstritzer sounds appealing

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hoegaarden is Belgian...

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

just about anything by spaten or paulaner are gonna be good choices... but few are going to give you much of a hop bite that you like... the word 'balance' can describe most german beers... nothing really stands out on the hop side of things, the bock variants are all very malty, you'll be hard pressed to find grassy beers from germany

This! Spaten and Paulaner are always good choices...Tony... ever make it to the Essen Haus in Madison?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users