#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

I've found out that unlike grape vines, hop vines have shallow roots.So when we had a dry spell, it really zonked my hops last year.A friend mentioned going over to Wally world and getting a drip system.I bought one head at $4 and some 1/4" tubing last year. Turns out it was a closeout.Getting ready to install it this year... and...I found out I really need more heads and the "helpful sales associates" at Wally go "huh?" when I ask about drip irrigation.Same response at Hole Deepo and LowesSo I went to a local, and quite large, nursery. Nada. Zip. ZilchI can't believe nobody carries this stuff anymore.Where do you guys get your drip watering supplies?

#2 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

These guys are extremely helpful and have some of the best prices I've found.Irrigation Mart

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I've always been able to find the equipment at home depot. Are you looking in the correct sections? The employees don't always know where things are... Look for the yard sprinkler area, I think they are usually in the same vicinity.Also, I've seen small kits at harbor freight, but have never tried them there.

#4 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

Save yourself the trouble. Go onlineI bought 150 x 2gallon per hour pressure compensated drippers for $18 , that would have been closer to $80 at Lowes or Home Depot.https://www.irrigationdirect.com/ out of Ca , took 6 days to get here , but worth it, they have all the items you might need.I run my Hops on a 1 hour cycle every day, which is a little high for immature plants but just below the norm for commercial growers on fully established plants. Most of the commercial guys water twice a week and then do a bunch of watering like 4-6 hrs, but works out to about 1.5 -3 gallons per day per plant.As I have a mix of new and old plants I need the daily watering right now, earler in the season I was watering every second dayHere is the one I use:https://www.irrigati....asp?id=DD-TC20

Edited by Zulu, 29 May 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#5 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

There's a store near me that does primarily irrigation stuff with the side business of filling propane tanks. The staff knows everything there is to know about irrigation. That's how I got set up for my vegetable/hops garden. Maybe do a google maps search for "irrigation" and see if anything like that pops up near you.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

Thanks guys,I went the on-line approach and found a few spots. irrigation direct seems to have the best prices.I've had the hops growing in a mint bed at the foot of my deck stairs. If I increase the irrigation area, I can move the mint around to the side of the house, so the bottoms of the hop vines can be exposed.I'm wondering how deep the hop roots go, and will extracting the mint disrupt the hop root system?Suggestions guys?

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

I've found out that unlike grape vines, hop vines have shallow roots.So when we had a dry spell, it really zonked my hops last year.A friend mentioned going over to Wally world and getting a drip system.I bought one head at $4 and some 1/4" tubing last year. Turns out it was a closeout.Getting ready to install it this year... and...I found out I really need more heads and the "helpful sales associates" at Wally go "huh?" when I ask about drip irrigation.Same response at Hole Deepo and LowesSo I went to a local, and quite large, nursery. Nada. Zip. ZilchI can't believe nobody carries this stuff anymore.Where do you guys get your drip watering supplies?

Where do you live???Pretty much everywhere here in NorCal has it... but if you want help... ACE is the place with the helpful hardware man (or woman). Seriously, the customer service at an ACE tends to be top notch.

#8 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hops roots do not go down too far - couple of feet after a few years, but will spread within one year, but year two you will see runners 3 ft away , and further each year unless you root prune.No worry for the mint but hops dont want / need as much water as mint

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Zulu,I went for the adjustable drippers, so I can fine tune this thing. Just sodded out the Zoysia, put edging in and tempered the soil with peat moss last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users