#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

Crap, i have a blonde ale thats been in secondary, a glass carboy with airlock, for about a week now. It is developing a hazy film on the top of the beer. Ive never had this happen before. The only difference between this batch and any other ive had is that i kept it in primary, on the yeast cake, for two weeks instead of my usual one week. Then i rack to another glass carboy to finish before kegging. The way i figure is that if there is at least a little bit of fermentation left in it, then it will displace any O2 in the secondary headspace with the CO2 the little yeasty monsters create. Anyway, Im pretty strict with my cleaning/sanitation methods, but im definitely not perfect. I guess i need some advice here...So what the heck do i got? Do i save it? Do i keg it right away? Do I throw in a diaper? What? :)

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

Well it could be residual fermentation. I will go ahead and ask it now. Have any pictures? Those would seriously help. I highly doubt that your beer is ruined. Taste it and if it tastes fine rack from under it and leave the top layer behind you should be fine.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have to say you are probably fine...I have had this happen a few times to me and I was never sure what it was...I have had a lot of stuff show up on the top that i wasn't sure of but my sanitation practices have never failed me....take a taste and if it tastes like beer.....rack everything but a 1/4 inch layer from the topAlso do you use any additives? I have always figure when I see this it is the fermcap-s that I use, it is supposed to drop after fermentation but i never know

#4 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Yes photos will help

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

Don't mess with it. You won't make it better by messing with the secondary. Before you bottle/keg, taste it. 95 times out of a hundred it is just beer being beer. Beer does all kinds of weird things.If it tastes OK, then it is OK.zymot

#6 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Also do you use any additives? I have always figure when I see this it is the fermcap-s that I use, it is supposed to drop after fermentation but i never know

additives? nothing other than some irish moss at the 15min left mark in the boil. Sorry, no pics. Camera works, computer works [barely], but they are not presently on speaking terms. :)

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Beer does all kinds of weird things.If it tastes OK, then it is OK.zymot

I think this sums it up...

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Yes just roll with it and don't lose any sleep. I agree with above you should be just fine and dandy.

#9 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

I sometimes get a oily-looking film on top of my wort, I usually notice it fresh from the CFC in the primary. I think it is just hop oils. Could this be the same as what you are seeing?But yeah, as long as FG is constant and it still tastes good I think you are golden. Maybe drink it up quick so you don't have to worry.Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users