Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Inaugural 2009 Group Brew - Blue Braggot OFFICAL Process and Brew Results Thread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 JimSar

JimSar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVallejo, California

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

Posting an addendum because I don't want to leave the impression that I added champagne yeast, because I never got around to doing it. After raising the must temperature and adding yeast hulls, it started to burp some gas, so I thought fermentation got going again. Got busy and didn't push the issue, and today, 10 days after adding the yeast hulls, I checked SG and guess what ... still 1.022. However, a generous thieving convinced me to just leave at alone; it actually tasted pretty good for something so young. Maybe it's the beer side of its genes? I'll rack off the thick lees in a few days, let it stabilize for a week or so, then move it to my daughter's basement where it can age at mid to high 50s F.

#22 JimSar

JimSar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVallejo, California

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

After nine months in the basement, SG was 1.020, (12.34% ABV) so today I racked it to another 5 gallon carboy and will bottle sometime in the next few weeks. Tastes really good, sweet but definitely not cloying. I don't have a well trained palate, so I'll try to describe it the best I can. Seems well balanced, but lacks complexity, something that I would expect from red (or at least dark) wine. Maybe another 6 months in bottles will help?

#23 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

In the fermenter last night.S.G.: 1.106 correctedThis morning, it is bubbling away, and I added stage 2 SNA.Discrepancy: All the thermometers in my house that go above 110*F are broken. :) I think the steeping water was ~170*F, but it might have been hotter.

Is this the same braggot you brought to Mashout? That was some tasty, powerful stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users