#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

https://rcemech.com/Temp/MLPA%20RichI am proud to say that the beer has carbed finally and tastes great! I can really taste the caramel now. Its almost too sweet, I might try a few more hops for aroma next time. I'm on edge about brewing a SNPA clone this weekend, visit the GF or clean the house and brew beer? Cheers!Rich

#2 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

Congrats. Great color. Good head.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

Nice looking brew. MLPA is a great beer recipe. Now you got me thirsty even this early in the morning. Nice work. Did u bottle carb or force carb aka keg carb?

#4 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

Yes a nice looking beer. I assume that this was bottled? I only say this 'cause if you pulled a glass from a draft it would have been a full glass. Or maybe you gave yourself a short pour? ;)

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

It was bottled. It was my first batch and I didn't have enough money to get a draft system. I bought some cornies and I should have the rest of the system fleshed out in a few months. I have to do a little at a time.

#6 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

It was bottled. It was my first batch and I didn't have enough money to get a draft system. I bought some cornies and I should have the rest of the system fleshed out in a few months. I have to do a little at a time.

As most of us do. It can take a long time to get ones brewery to the way one wants.A clear looking beer. It does look yummy.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Rich: The beer looks nice. Which yeast did you use for that beer and what hops did you use at which AA%? Just curious because this beer can be right on the edge for some people in terms of hop/malt balance. I notice that if I bottle a few from a keg and the carb ends up slightly lower, the balance swings towards the "too malty" side. You also have to make sure that your yeast does its job so you don't have it slightly underattenuated. If it's got the normal 5 oz of corn sugar for bottling, it's fully attenuated and you used 5½ AAUs or so for 60 minutes, you should be right in the zip code. Nice work & cheers.

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Good stuff, Rich! Ken's recipe is a dandy! It's 3rd in line for me....Checking my brew notes the last time I brewed this....my only hop addition was at 60 and I used Cascades. It was delicious! I think next time though I'll dry hop this with a combo of Centennial and Amarillo for a nice citrusy aroma...mmmmmm...thirsty!

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

I used an oz of Mt Hoods for 60 min like the recipe calls for. I believe my OG was right on at 1.049 and the FG was 1.009. I used the WYeast 1056 liquid smack pack. I didn't do starter, just smacked it before I was ready to brew and about 4 hours later dumped it in the chilled wort. I did have problems carbing this beer because I was anxious while bottling and forgot to stir in the corn sugar properly (5oz of corn sugar), so some bottles are under carbed some are just right like the one pictured, but it still had plenty of caramel malt flavor. Strangely this bottle was the first that I could really taste the caramel malt in. Most of them (I only have about 25 left) I just get a nutty flavor, but the hop presence is so subtle that I can't distinguish it. This may be because I hadn't had one in over a week because of the vacation, so its aging and the flavor is stabilizing???, its been 3 months since I brewed it now.I am a big fan of SNPA so I am thinking of changing to cascades, or just doing a small addition at the end to get a little different flavor next time, slightly hoppier. Also, could I have more caramel malt flavor due to the fact that I squeezed and rang out the steeping bag into the wort to get as much as possible, so more of the crystal malt sugars got in? I really enjoy this beer though!By the way after a week in the fridge the beer cleared just fine. No haze.Cheers!Rich

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

I thought I remembered (from my extract days), that you shouldn't squeeze the grain bag. Tannins? I can't remember. Also, I think that different brands of malt can lend different flavors. I have gotten C60 from many suppliers and some are lighter and some are darker... some have more caramel flavor and some have less. Freshness plays a part too. If you have a bottle of this that is undercarbed, I could see it being too far to the malty side. Again, use the hops you like and use them how you see fit... you can't go wrong. I could see Mt. Hood for bittering with some late Cascades being very nice. Cheers!

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Again, use the hops you like and use them how you see fit... you can't go wrong. I could see Mt. Hood for bittering with some late Cascades being very nice. Cheers!

Problem is that its my first beer, so its hard to tell what hops taste like unless you have really good commercial examples. I will definitely brew this again though.

#12 D86D

D86D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

I thought I remembered (from my extract days), that you shouldn't squeeze the grain bag. Tannins? yea, that's true. i did it when i first started extract brewing and could tell sometimes that i extracted tannins, but didn't know why it tasted that way.

#13 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Most of them (I only have about 25 left)

you might want to stay home and brew another batch this weekend. looks like you went through those suckers pretty quick!

#14 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33971 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

welcome to the obsession...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users