27 replies to this topic

#1 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictorville, CA

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Are there any tips on how to get to the right mash temp? I keep going higher than the suggested mash temp by a few degrees, sometimes 10 degrees. I think I read somewhere that the higher mash temps can cause an issue with the mouthfeel.... ie: thin tasting beer. I'm using a keggle for my mashtun and a cajun cooker for the heat source. I've heard that some people turn off the heat when they are 10 degrees shy of the mash temp and that the temp slowly gets to the desired temp. I tried that and the temp was just short of the desired temp...so..... I added more heat and very quickly the temp shot over what I wanted for the mash temp.Are there any suggestions out there is it more of a hit and miss???Cheers,Darin

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

Higher mash temp can result in sweeter beer that has a bit more mouthfeel. A lower mash temp can produce a drier, thinner beer. I heat my water in the kitchen and get it to a certain temp (in the 160-165° range) and I add it to my MT with the grains and stir. I use a Thermapen to check the mash temp and if I am a little high, I add a few ice cubes, stir and check it again. I usually try to miss high because I have ice cubes available but usually not boiling water (which is how you would want to adjust up if you had no other option). I have heard that you have about 10 minutes before enzymatic activity really kicks in so that's your adjustment period. The biggest issue with nailing mash temp may be the instrument you use to measure it. I have mentioned my frustration with El Cheapo thermometers and how I can't get them to agree. Also, some of this comes down to what equipment you have at your disposal and how you normally heat & maintain your mash. Good luck.

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I think the best way to hit your temps is just to know your system. I know on mine I have to heat the mash water about 20 degrees over the mash temp I want. And, use the same water to grist ratio.Also, use your equipment consistently. If you preheat your mash tun, then always preheat. And as Ken said, have a really good thermometer. I use a glass thermo because the needle kinds are always way off for me, even after being calibrated. Cheers!

#4 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Higher mash temp can result in sweeter beer that has a bit more mouthfeel. A lower mash temp can produce a drier, thinner beer. I heat my water in the kitchen and get it to a certain temp (in the 160-165° range) and I add it to my MT with the grains and stir. I use a Thermapen to check the mash temp and if I am a little high, I add a few ice cubes, stir and check it again. I usually try to miss high because I have ice cubes available but usually not boiling water (which is how you would want to adjust up if you had no other option). I have heard that you have about 10 minutes before enzymatic activity really kicks in so that's your adjustment period. The biggest issue with nailing mash temp may be the instrument you use to measure it. I have mentioned my frustration with El Cheapo thermometers and how I can't get them to agree. Also, some of this comes down to what equipment you have at your disposal and how you normally heat & maintain your mash. Good luck.

I'll take a look at that thermapen, thanks!Darin

#5 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

I think the best way to hit your temps is just to know your system. I know on mine I have to heat the mash water about 20 degrees over the mash temp I want. And, use the same water to grist ratio.Also, use your equipment consistently. If you preheat your mash tun, then always preheat. And as Ken said, have a really good thermometer. I use a glass thermo because the needle kinds are always way off for me, even after being calibrated. Cheers!

Thanks, brother!Darin

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I feel mildly sheepish buying that thermometer because it's $100. Almost all of my brewing stuff is on the cheap and many, many years old. But it occurred to me that if you need to dial in 150° and you have 4 dial/glass lab/digital thermos that are all off by 8°, you're going to have one hell of a time getting the right mash temp. I realize that is not what you asked... you're trying to get info on making adjustments once the mash temp is determined. If you can adjust the temp of your mash because you use a direct-fired mash setup, you just have to go slow, meet your mash temp and maintain it. If you mash in a cooler, the best bet is to have a small amount of boiling water on hand or ice cubes so you can make small adjustments. It's easier than you think once you have a better feel for your system, as JB mentioned. Cheers.

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Exactly, I usually hit my temp dead on. Sometimes I come in a degree or two off and I don't worry about it.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

I feel mildly sheepish buying that thermometer because it's $100. Almost all of my brewing stuff is on the cheap and many, many years old. But it occurred to me that if you need to dial in 150° and you have 4 dial/glass lab/digital thermos that are all off by 8°, you're going to have one hell of a time getting the right mash temp. I realize that is not what you asked... you're trying to get info on making adjustments once the mash temp is determined. If you can adjust the temp of your mash because you use a direct-fired mash setup, you just have to go slow, meet your mash temp and maintain it. If you mash in a cooler, the best bet is to have a small amount of boiling water on hand or ice cubes so you can make small adjustments. It's easier than you think once you have a better feel for your system, as JB mentioned. Cheers.

I'm not sure if I got lucky or what. I have 2 pretty cheap digital thermos and they have been within a degree of each other whenever I've checked. I also have a candy thermo that they generally seem to agree with (granted the candy thermo is hard to read precisely).

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

There are some calculators out there that can get you in the ballpark. I kept notes for a while on strike water temp and water/grist. It didn't take long to dial it in. Keep some ice around too. It's easier to drop a high temperature than trying to heat up a mash that's too cold.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

There are some calculators out there that can get you in the ballpark. I kept notes for a while on strike water temp and water/grist. It didn't take long to dial it in. Keep some ice around too. It's easier to drop a high temperature than trying to heat up a mash that's too cold.

This is what I use (can't remember where I found the formula):strike water temp = (0.2/MR)*(MT - GT) + MTwhere,MR = mash ratio (qt of water / lbs of grain)MT = desired mash temperatureGT = grain temperature (usually room temperature b/c that's where I keep the grain before milling)The 0.2 can be altered to tweak to your setup. I generally put my strike water into the mash tun at a higher than calculated strike water temperature and then let it cool down until it hits the strike water temp. Then I add in the grain. Doing it this way removes the variable of the mash tun (a cooler) being at a different temperature.I'm sure other people have their own methods but this is what I use.

#11 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

I think the best way to hit your temps is just to know your system.

This.Are you brewing on a system relatively new to you? I know that if I want to mash at 152, I heat my strike water to the 165-167 range as I usually lose 13-15 degrees once I add the grain. Trial and error! But a good idea about the ice cubes....I'll have to remember that!

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

I was given an Excel Sheet that pretty much dials everything in. You input weight of grain, desired mash thickness, desired mash temp, actual temp of grain prior to mashing, actual temp of mash tun prior to mashing, desired boil amount. It spits out what the strike temp and amount should be. If done properly, I hit the mash temp within a degree or two. If I go "over", I just stir the mash until the temp comes down. If it is under, I have a "heat stick" that I plug in to help raise the temp up. The sheet also tells you exactly how much water you will need to sparge and at what temp.Pre-heating the mashtun helps so you don't lose any heat (although this is only really necessary in winter).

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

Deer, your signature is killing me. :facepalm:

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

Deer, your signature is killing me. :facepalm:

With two weeks before the next game, you gotta give me at LEAST a week to gloat!

#15 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19228 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm using a keggle for my mashtun and a cajun cooker for the heat source. I've heard that some people turn off the heat when they are 10 degrees shy of the mash temp and that the temp slowly gets to the desired temp. I tried that and the temp was just short of the desired temp...so..... I added more heat and very quickly the temp shot over what I wanted for the mash temp.

I figure out the desired temperature of strike water from this equation:T1*m1+T2*m2+T3*m3=T*(m1+m2+m3)or(T of mashtun)*(thermal mass of mashtun) + (T of grain)*(thermal mass of grain) + (T of water)*(thermal mass of water) = (final T)*(thermal mass of mashtun+grain+water)A pound of grain has the thermal mass of 0.2 quarts of water, and my mash tun has the thermal mass of 1.6 quarts of water. I assume that your keggle will have a different thermal mass from my Gott cooler, but you can figure out the thermal mass from plugging in what final temperature you got from adding known grain and water.Once you get the temperature of strike water calculated, you should never be 10 degrees off, and you will only have to turn on your burner to maintain a constant temperature.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I figure out the desired temperature of strike water from this equation:T1*m1+T2*m2+T3*m3=T*(m1+m2+m3)or(T of mashtun)*(thermal mass of mashtun) + (T of grain)*(thermal mass of grain) + (T of water)*(thermal mass of water) = (final T)*(thermal mass of mashtun+grain+water)A pound of grain has the thermal mass of 0.2 quarts of water, and my mash tun has the thermal mass of 1.6 quarts of water. I assume that your keggle will have a different thermal mass from my Gott cooler, but you can figure out the thermal mass from plugging in what final temperature you got from adding known grain and water.Once you get the temperature of strike water calculated, you should never be 10 degrees off, and you will only have to turn on your burner to maintain a constant temperature.

How close do you usually get? I've found I'm usually about +/- 1F of where I wanted to be which usually just means I leave it alone.

#17 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19228 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

How close do you usually get? I've found I'm usually about +/- 1F of where I wanted to be which usually just means I leave it alone.

That's typical for me as well. It's so reliable that when I find a spot that has the wrong temperature, I assume that it's a hot or cold spot and just stir more.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

That's typical for me as well. It's so reliable that when I find a spot that has the wrong temperature, I assume that it's a hot or cold spot and just stir more.

*high five* :facepalm:

#19 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

This worked well for me to start:https://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/infusion.htmlNow I know I need about 168 degrees for a typical 12 lb recipe. I adjust up and down if I want a different mash temp.

#20 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

https://thermoworks...._thermapen.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users